BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Librarian

Is anyone else seeing a 'Toss Dragoon here? Well, sort of a cross between the 'goon and the new Immortal. Not that that's a bad thing, this beast looks pretty cool!

*escapes before anti-Starcraft crew shows up*

Chapter-Master

Being a Tau person i think its awesome! It fits in with the army without being a skimmer (call it a 4 leg battlesuit if it makes you feel better). As for the question of Tau defences the codex talks about how they choose not to defend static locations, but will if neccesary. What better way to form a non-static defense than a huge walker?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

They would be giving high 4s not 3s

Chapter-Master

Well I knew it was one or the other, at least you got it
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Battle-Brother

So looking at this with Tau aesthetics in mind, I think this comes fairly close and as this is most likely for Apoc, then if it looks good, do it.

However, from a pure "does it align with existing Tau canon", then I would have to say that it misses the mark. We've had similar discussions about super heavies on the Epic boards and after quite a bit of analysis and discussion, the current line of thought is:

1. The Fire caste has not introduced many new weapon systems through it's expansions. In general, it is almost as if they are comfortable with the evolutionary improvements of existing systems...or another possibility is that the Fire caste could be rather conservative in their approach to weapons and since their current inventory seems to be working Ok (for the most part), then they are willing to run with what they have.

2. However, the Imperium did put them on the back foot during Damocles with super heavy tanks and titans. What is interesting is their response. Instead of coming up with their own "super flyer walkers", they responded with Air caste assets, i.e. the Manta. What is even more interesting is that since Damocles, the only completely new weapon systems that we are aware of are from the Air caste (AX-1-0, AX-2-2, Remora fighter). Everything else seems to be technology upgrades or improvements of existing systems.

3. The Tau are not adverse to asymmetrical warfare.

Hence, for the Tau Epic list design, SH walkers do not fit within the list design framework. Air craft and larger skimming chassis (e.g. based on the Orca) do seem to be their current path to expansion of capabilities.

I'm trying to rain on anyone's parade because after all, this is 40K and anything can happen...and it is a very nice looking model.

Cheers,

Chapter-Master

But the Tau are adaptable, you say no new weapons, well the Tau empire codex introduced several, so they do move forward. There could be situations where heavy support is needed and fliers are simply impractical, weather conditions or mountain valleys, or underground for example, and so they develop an all terrain super heavy walker. Basically, I think there are simple ways to justify it =)
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Valkerie View Post
    On the other hand, the Tau do ahve the Manta super heavy flyer, so maybe they've reevaluated the value of super heavy vehicles. Sort of a 'if our enemies have them, we should have them too, if only to kill theirs.'
    The Manta is more an assault boat/shuttle like a big thunderhawk (both are space-capable). Fluffwise they don´t give much for clumpsy big warmachines. And this is the walker - big and clumpsy compared to the swift flyers that tear titans apart.

Yes it is nice looking and fits in the tau-design-line. But for the near 300 bucks i would buy a ax-10 from FW and be go more the tau way of war.
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Make it something O'Shava built and call it a day. After all he has no etherials hampering his personal style. He already has a sword give him a walker.

Battle-Brother

you say no new weapons, well the Tau empire codex introduced several, so they do move forward.
    Actually, what I said was "no new weapon systems", which I didn't explain very well. A weapons systems by my definition would be on the order of a crisis suit or a new type of vehicle not based on the Hammerhead/Devilfish chassis. On the other hand, I do agree that the Tau did introduce new weapons for their vehicles.

If I am missing something from their latest codex and IA books, I'm all ears. To date, all I have seen is new weapons and methods of employing them.

Now having said that, it just occurred to me that there were some new types of missiles introduced in Apocalypse Reload, which had very interesting battlefield effects, so that may be what you are referring to.

Cheers,

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Actually, what I said was "no new weapon systems", which I didn't explain very well. A weapons systems by my definition would be on the order of a crisis suit or a new type of vehicle not based on the Hammerhead/Devilfish chassis. On the other hand, I do agree that the Tau did introduce new weapons for their vehicles.

If I am missing something from their latest codex and IA books, I'm all ears. To date, all I have seen is new weapons and methods of employing them.

Now having said that, it just occurred to me that there were some new types of missiles introduced in Apocalypse Reload, which had very interesting battlefield effects, so that may be what you are referring to.

Cheers,
    XV-9 Hazards?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast