BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Codex Imperial Agents and Traitor Legions

Well played GW for the first time since AoS dropped I'm interested by a 40K release.

Imperial Agents has been a book long muted, I first heard it rumoured in 3rd Ed. I really like it as a concept there's always been lots of smaller fighting forces in the imperium who don't really consistute a full army (fluff wise) and who generally only take the field alongside the other armies of the imperium. I include SoBs in this I've always felt they've been rather conceptually stretched to fill a full codex. I've always enjoyed the idea of disparate nature of imperial armed forces so really happy to see this.

Traitor Legions, very very happy this has finally happened there's not a lot that hasn't been said already. I'll draw your attention to my Avatar that's one of my miniatures and I've modelled my VIII th to be usable on both 30 and 40K so it'll be nice to have 40K rules. I've also got high hopes for the fluff content Codex Black Legion was top notch on that front so I'm looking for more of the same.
    Last edited by grimmas; 11-21-2016 at 02:11 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

So rumors of 8th edition are getting louder by the day. Its nice how we get the first codex in 6th, and wait till the end of 7th to finally get legions. If there is a huge AoS style shake-up, it brings into question of if the current codexes are even going to be valid... Aside from the fluff, is there even a point to pick this up? Its kinda like the WFB end times all over again. Tons of new releases, only to be invalidated in a few months.

Brother-Captain

If

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9breaker View Post
    So rumors of 8th edition are getting louder by the day. Its nice how we get the first codex in 6th, and wait till the end of 7th to finally get legions. If there is a huge AoS style shake-up, it brings into question of if the current codexes are even going to be valid... Aside from the fluff, is there even a point to pick this up? Its kinda like the WFB end times all over again. Tons of new releases, only to be invalidated in a few months.
    The invalidation of product certainly was a thing - under the old regime. But with the new model, customer friendly GW, I would be genuinely surprised if they did such a thing as bring out codexes and supplements now, that get totally made worthless in 8th in Apr next year.
    Last edited by Denzark; 11-22-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Captain

Surely any Codex is invalidated once a new one is released. Also the last time 40K had a mass extinction was when 3rd ed came out (18ish years ago) it's not something that happens as much as people claim and could be argued as a necessity at some points. Also who says that these books won't be compatible with any upcoming edition. It's also not been unknown for GW to release Codex before the Edition they are written for the 3.5 Chaos Codex was written for 4th ed rules and the Militarim Tempestus Codex was written for 7th but released in 6th. The rumours so far have suggested a streamlining of the rules rather than a full AoS.

I remain excited about this release

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Surely any Codex is invalidated once a new one is released. Also the last time 40K had a mass extinction was when 3rd ed came out (18ish years ago) it's not something that happens as much as people claim and could be argued as a necessity at some points. Also who says that these books won't be compatible with any upcoming edition. It's also not been unknown for GW to release Codex before the Edition they are written for the 3.5 Chaos Codex was written for 4th ed rules and the Militarim Tempestus Codex was written for 7th but released in 6th. The rumours so far have suggested a streamlining of the rules rather than a full AoS.

I remain excited about this release

GW released several new and expensive hardback books for AoS then completley nullified them all with the new rule set. And while I agree that the rules could use an overhaul, with the recent release schedule of all these new books and armies, it would be insane (and a total prick move) to invalidate them with an incompatible rule set. But, again, it's not like they didn't do something like that recently already.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Brother-Captain

That's hardly either a course of conduct or necessarily the same thing. The End Times (5 Books) were source books charting the End of the Warhammer World not Warhammer Armies Books and they made it fairly obvious. We're talking about a Codex and a supplement also it's 40K not WFB also. Oh gad they provided a complete set of free rules to replace them, which they have done every time a large scale overhaul has occurred.

Why is it that the exception must be considered the rule, it's a bit like when everyone keeps bumping their gums about armies being "Squated" like it's something that happens all the time when in fact it happened once ,to squats, 20 odd years ago.

Going off topic here I'm more interested to hear what form people think this supplement may take the existing Chaos ones have been fairly lightweight as far a changes went but we're going to be looking at rules for 8 different factions in one book. Also do we think this is going to signal a moving of SoB to a support faction sort of roll, it also says Grey Knights are going to be included in Imperial Agents I'd very much doubt that it'll mean their Codex is removed

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    That's hardly either a course of conduct or necessarily the same thing. The End Times (5 Books) were source books charting the End of the Warhammer World not Warhammer Armies Books and they made it fairly obvious. We're talking about a Codex and a supplement also it's 40K not WFB also. Oh gad they provided a complete set of free rules to replace them, which they have done every time a large scale overhaul has occurred.

Why is it that the exception must be considered the rule, it's a bit like when everyone keeps bumping their gums about armies being "Squated" like it's something that happens all the time when in fact it happened once ,to squats, 20 odd years ago.

Going off topic here I'm more interested to hear what form people think this supplement may take the existing Chaos ones have been fairly lightweight as far a changes went but we're going to be looking at rules for 8 different factions in one book. Also do we think this is going to signal a moving of SoB to a support faction sort of roll, it also says Grey Knights are going to be included in Imperial Agents I'd very much doubt that it'll mean their Codex is removed

Yes the end times books were source books and not full army books, but that didn't change the fact that they were expensive and there was no 'these will be useless in the rules change in a few months' notification in them. Yes AoS did provide some new rules, but in the 2nd to 3rd edition change for 40k the 'new unit rules' were basic at best. As for not being worried about an army being 'squatted' every time a major change occurs... I'm sure Tomb Kings and Brettonian players would have something to say about that.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Brother-Captain

What those players who have a complete set of official rules, the same as everyone else and were given fair warning and a opportunity to finish up their collection.

I've clearly caused some confusion here by posting this in the 40K section with the intent of discussing an upcoming 40K release. For those still bitter about AoS how about you start your own thread in the AoS section.

I suspect that the Imperial Agents book will be more of a revision/combination book for the few digital only and outdated codexes - Assassins, Inquisitors, and Sisters. I'm sure they'll add in the Sisters of Silence from the recent Burning of Prospero board game, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Militarum Tempestus, Astra Militarum, Grey Knights, or regular Marines units to make a full army.

For the Chaos Codex, I can only assume that we'll see rules like the Space Marine chapters.
    The Black Legion will be the generic (like Ultramarines) style army that's flexible that most current Chaos armies can play. Death Guard, Emperor's Children, World Eaters, and Thousand Sons will probably have some of the best rules/tactics/formations because they already have rules and units based on the single Chaos god they are devoted to.

I imagine Night Lords will probably get some rules similar to Raven Guard, or perhaps White Scars. Iron Warriors will likely be similar to Iron Hands, and Word Bearers, I feel, are a lot like the Black Templar. Who knows what Alpha Legion will do? Maybe they'll have a bunch of cultists/traitor Guard but I bet it'll probably be awesome.

The thing I think I like the most, GW really seems to be putting the things out that fans want.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast