BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Leadership queries

I've just started using the zenith of glass cannons, yes I'm using Harlequins. Possibly the most useful tool in their arsenal are the Ld modifiers which are clearly helpful in getting squads to run off the table. However, I'm struggling with the myriad of Ld instances, and counters rules. Obviously if a unit is fearless that renders any Ld based test null and void. However 'and they shall know no fear', is not the same as fearless so surely my leadership hi-jinx can have some effect upon the space marines?

For instance, if say Space Wolves lose a round of combat and fail their morale Ld test, do they still run and then automatically regroup next turn? Or do they just stay put? If they stay put that would make them fearless right?

I've encountered the same problem with Tyranids and the HT providing a LD bubble which prevents Pinning and something else (Can't remember what it is).

Really I'm looking for a breakdown on what is susceptible to my tricks and what is immune to them. Help would be appreciated.

Chaplain

Where the rule is They Shall Know No Fear and a marine squad fails a moral check they break and "Withdraw". (Kind of applying tactical nous to regain balance) However they have no control over the distance so if they roll too big and end up off the table they are gone. But otherwise they simply fall back and regroup to operate as normal in the next round.

However the one instance where they do not withdraw is where the enemy makes a sweeping advance. Unlike other units, this does not wipe the Marines out, they stand and fight, though I can't remember if the sweeping advance confers an assault bonus or not.

Now if I am fighting SM my sweeping advance would depend on whose turn it was when the SM failed Ld. If it was mine then I would do a sweeping advance because I don't want to be shot and counter assaulted by the SM. If it was their turn, then I would not do a sweeping advance because they may run off the board and I can shoot and assault them in my turn which guarantees a new assault bonus attack and all the other trimmings.

Occuli Imperator

What you do need to be mindful for are the fearless bubbles that pop up.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post

Now if I am fighting SM my sweeping advance would depend on whose turn it was when the SM failed Ld.
    I had no idea it was optional...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I had no idea it was optional...
    You know I never thought to check. In days gone by it was but the wording in the current rules would suggest otherwise. I have been doing it forever and no one has ever challenged me on it. Weird considering how competitive some of the lads are. May be they never recognised the advantage I saw in it. Will check at GW tomorrow, we are doing a 500 point tourny and my list is heavily weighted to assault. (Which I balanced out with a D cannon).