BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenZero View Post
    You got me...I seem to recall something on this written, but have since returned the book I was borrowing.

I believe they still do not count towards the 25% minimum you are required to have, but don't quote me on that :/
    That's ridiculous! I can see since you apparently need 3 units + 1 hero/lord that it wouldn't count towards that, but units like that should count towards the 25% after the two others first or something...

I AM however looking forward to 50 some odd rats charging in... 50 storm vermin led by queek would be hell to deal with!

What do people think will happen with the infantry/core units vs character dynamic given that there isn't a 25% universal character cap? Are the new rules making more infantry a better choice or will it be business as usual? When I had a look through the book I came away with the impression that core units would be much more viable, but I'm not sure if it was just wishful thinking clouding my judgement.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    What do people think will happen with the infantry/core units vs character dynamic given that there isn't a 25% universal character cap? Are the new rules making more infantry a better choice or will it be business as usual? When I had a look through the book I came away with the impression that core units would be much more viable, but I'm not sure if it was just wishful thinking clouding my judgement.
    I'm pretty sure things won't be 'business as usual'
    Even if core units don't dominate the battle field; they will still perform much better then they used to.

You'll no longer have to fear having chaos knights charge a unit mulch-up the front rank or two and never be able to fight back. They might to a lot of damage, but a least you're guys will then all get to fight back.

You'll still have to worry about being flanked by a dragon; but that dragon doesn't cancel ranks, so you still have a chance.

Having more ranks granting stubborn means that all those elite groups (Chaos knight, dragons, etc.) cannot just mulch a unit cause a -5 leadership and break you in a single combat; you're much more likely to hold and force them to grind you down over several turns.

And some armies infantry (orges namely) will actually be pretty hardcore now.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    Having more ranks granting stubborn means that all those elite groups (Chaos knight, dragons, etc.) cannot just mulch a unit cause a -5 leadership and break you in a single combat; you're much more likely to hold and force them to grind you down over several turns.
    Yeah, it's kind of crazy now. I don't know how I am going to fit Chaos Knights into my list now.

I'm currently assembling three more boxes of Chaos Warriors. Can you say 60-man block of infantry

First-Captain

The rules are amazing, Really are. Played yesturday In store and just wow, Im deffo gonna be running a 50 man strong unit of HE spears with all getting attacks, now thats what I call high elves.
    Also My fave thing in rule book is all the magic items. The magic weapons alone are able to make up for the craptastic stuff which is the HE magic weapons.

So can we assume that from what we've heard this is going to be the "Death Star" edition?

Lots of people talking about huge units.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    So can we assume that from what we've heard this is going to be the "Death Star" edition?

Well yeah, that plays right into GW's hands, more money for them! It does however make for fun/interesting game play as it's something new(to my knowledge).

Which is what the game should be, really. The thing I hated most about 7th edition is that it was quite possible to have 'armies' which had less models than a small 40k Eldar force. I want epic fantasy battles not a bunch of guys having a brawl on the village green.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post

Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Which is what the game should be, really. The thing I hated most about 7th edition is that it was quite possible to have 'armies' which had less models than a small 40k Eldar force. I want epic fantasy battles not a bunch of guys having a brawl on the village green.
    Thats fine if the armies are going to be several large units with small supports, no problem with that.
    What worries me is the possibility of armies with "Deathstar" units. Someone turns up with an army of two or three super units, not so much fun.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

8th edition and the rise of the 160 strong goblin spearmen unit is here.
    Seriously, i had one take 30 warriors of chaos with an exalted hero down.
    Nasty

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast