BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Gooball View Post
    8th edition and the rise of the 160 strong goblin spearmen unit is here.
    Seriously, i had one take 30 warriors of chaos with an exalted hero down.
    Nasty
    Seriously, I can totally see this happening. The Goblins will always get more attacks in than the Chaos because of the base size, and the 3+ in CC rather than 2+ is going to hurt us significantly. We effectively will lose twice as many people each round of combat due to that one change. Thanks.

Is there no size limit on Goblin units?

Edit: Duh, course there aint, old edition, 4th?

I am worried by this slightly. It would seem that the rules have made a real effort on the one hand to make movement more fluid and the game more interesting. But this wont work at all if people field armies with huge super death stars.
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 06-20-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Death star units might be scary but they have one very big flaw.

Although magic is scary now, the risks of miscasting are very horrific, casting one spell on a unit that size could be horribly devastating to a unit of that size.

take that 160 goblin unit.

i take high elf mage with flames of the phoenix.

i only realy have to pull the spell off once, and i hit every single model in the unit at strength 3, with a toughness of 3, so im rolling 160 dice needed 4's.

and then the next turn it might be dispelled if not the next hit is strength 4, so wounding on 3's.

last time i checked goblins saves were not that good.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yikes!

Hadn't thought of that.

It is almost like this is a whole new game.

It is almost like this is a whole new game.

That 160 unit can also get charged by multiple units. Lots and lots of units in fact which could butcher the entire unit in short order. Add in more accurate war machines with the magic and I think the options for taking out these units will be much better than people expect.

I imagine that death stars will be popular at first until people start finding ways of defeating them.
    “I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”
    -General George S. Patton

The Dark Mechanic

GW's already scored big with some of their limited edition merchandise this time. The Skull Dice, Collector's Edition and the Gamer's Edition set were all sold out in about 3 days. The only limited edition item still available is the Engineer's Ranging Set.

And after checking out the new rules it is quite like a whole new game. I haven't been this interested in WFB in a few years. I already batch painted a new unit of Chaos Warriors and I'm working on another now. I'll be getting a copy of the rule book at the midnight release at my local GW store. The hobby and story-driven material in the book are just the kind of thing that got me into this hobby in the first place.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011