BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Army Selection

Default Army Selection

Please help with this. I have never truly understood the new way to select an army.

With the new chaos books out i'm looking at taking the warband primary detachment + auxiliary.

But i also want stuff from the FW books that state "this can be taken as a HS choice"

So, the question is how do i take these? Do i just take the units anyway without consequence or do i need a CAD from the codex? or is this just not allowed outside of friendly games?

Veteran-Sergeant

If you use one of the Warbands from Traitor Legions it sets what you can take as a cost to get the special rules. You can Take the warband AND a CAD however, if you have the points.
    You can also play Unbound which is just taking whatever you like, some people are okay with Unbound armies, some are not.
    To take FW units that can only be taken as a HS choice you would need to use a CAD.

The way to make an army is simply, take as many Detachments as you like. CAD = Combined Arms Detachment. The Warband in the traitor legion book is a Warband detachment. In addition, any formation is also a detachment. So you could take a CAD and whatever formations you like out of the traitor legion book, skipping the warband if you can't afford required formations and just want some of the auxiliaries.

Hope this helps some

Veteran-Sergeant

you can really only use Forgeworld minis if you are using a standard CAD formation. The only exception to this is a Kytan Daemon engine, it can replace a Lord of Skulls in ant detachment or formation. Games Workshop does not really set up their detachments to take Forgeworld into account and Forgeworld has been slow to do anything about getting their stuff in the newer detachments.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.