BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Some interesting points have been raised on the BOLS front page. Some have commented that by putting the rules out of reach of many people financially they are only hurting themselves as this will encourage piracy.

I can only agree.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to appear on the net.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Man, I wish my textbooks in college and grad school only cost 75 bucks. Jesus, I would have settled for 150.

I do kind of wish they would have a less-expensive varient like there is for WM, but I'm still not going to complain since GW is most likely going to lose money on the rule-books, even at the price they are selling them at.

Veteran-Sergeant

I mean, seriously, my low-cost edition, not legal for sale in the US textbooks that were only 300-400 pages long and printed on glorified newsprint were 80 bucks minimum. My larger textbooks on par with the WHFB rule-book were over 300 new.

The Warmachine army books are 150 pages, soft-bound, and are 35 bucks.

People really shouldn't complain about the price. If you want a lower cost option, just wait till September.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Watch your back mate, make sure you get home to enjoy it all
    Roger that! Will do!
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

Brother-Captain

Situations like this were built for Bit-Torrent. You should be able to download, print, and make your own bound rulebook for about $10-15. I have to re-bind half of the things I buy from GW anyway, so it's really not much of a hassle.

Not had a chance to read the store copy yet to decide if I'll even keep my WFB army - certainly won't be paying for the book though if I do, I'll wait for ebay fodder.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

You kids really have no concept of value or money it seems. Please go to a local book store and find a comparably sized full-color book. It will not be less than $50, and most likely will be closer to $100, probably far over. (Thats IF you can find a full-color book that is of even close in size, which are almost non-existant).

The book industry is one that is in a severely dire situation, and even 5 years ago was many times more profitable and stable. The cost of producing books of all types has sky-rocketed recently, and full-color hardback high-quality books even more so.

As many have said, when you go to college you will truly understand what an "over-priced" book is.

Its sad that people complain about spending $75, a fair, reasonable, and actually "cheap" price considering the entertainment value you will get from it, when in a few years when they grow up and go to college they will have to pay upwards of $150 for a piece of sh*t that you will open 6 times and never have any interest in.

p.s. If you can't afford $75 for something you will use more than probably every other GW product you buy, you are in the wrong hobby. When you pay $20 for spray paint then complain about 3 times that for the RULEBOOK (that you will use roughly 50000 times as much) you are not just in the wrong hobby, you are a moron.
    Last edited by Torcano; 06-16-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Well, its true printing costs for large format colour have doubled in the past twelve months, but over the past ten years book sales and profits have been increasing by around 4% each year. The industry isn't facing dire circumstances. Magazines and newspapers certainly are, but not books.

I do agree with you though, I would love to pay only forty five pounds for 500 pages of full colour, it would save me hundreds of pounds a month (I'm trying to build a good reference library for archaeology and art history).

Quote Originally Posted by Torcano View Post
    You kids really have no concept of value or money it seems. Please go to a local book store and find a comparably sized full-color book. It will not be less than $50, and most likely will be closer to $100, probably far over. (Thats IF you can find a full-color book that is of even close in size, which are almost non-existant).

The book industry is one that is in a severely dire situation, and even 5 years ago was many times more profitable and stable. The cost of producing books of all types has sky-rocketed recently, and full-color hardback high-quality books even more so.

As many have said, when you go to college you will truly understand what an "over-priced" book is.

Its sad that people complain about spending $75, a fair, reasonable, and actually "cheap" price considering the entertainment value you will get from it, when in a few years when they grow up and go to college they will have to pay upwards of $150 for a piece of sh*t that you will open 6 times and never have any interest in.

p.s. If you can't afford $75 for something you will use more than probably every other GW product you buy, you are in the wrong hobby. When you pay $20 for spray paint then complain about 3 times that for the RULEBOOK (that you will use roughly 50000 times as much) you are not just in the wrong hobby, you are a moron.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngelHopeful View Post
    I just pre-ordered the Gamer's Edition, Engineer's Ranging Set, and Battle Magic Cards. There's not a lot to spend your money on when you are in the desert lol.
    Doesn't the ranging set go with the gamers edition?

Anyway, my birfday is coming up soon so i is going to start hinting (with a stick) that i'd like the gamers edition.
    Those shiny, shiny things call to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Torcano View Post

Nope, I think you'll find Im a man who has no debts and can afford to feed my child actually
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast