BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    Stukovkh, all I can say to you is:
    SCREW OFF!
    Thanks a lot; this was a great way to start my day!
    Mmmk, For the sake of keeping the peace, I'm going to leave this confrontation at an end as my goals are not to run around the Interweb making enemies, especially in a place I don't have any standing in. Excuse me for any offense, and I excuse ya'll for any offense. I just felt the thread wasn't very constructive, and would like to see less pessimism if possible as there seems to be an over abundance across the different forums. I have no more to say on the subject, Sorry for ruining your day OP.
    Aldramelech I didn't intend on running you off or making you angry soooooo... Don't be please. Swords have been drawn and I would like all of us to walk away in one piece so. *bows* I take my leave.

Veteran-Sergeant

Hmm... so young and so full of wisdom already.

Have you ever considered that there may be a reason that us middle-aged guys, who have loyally supported GW since it started, and that have treble your gaming experience, are complaining?

We are not disagreeing with the developers and the new rules, hell we want to play the new rules. But we are tired of being ripped off and being expected to pay again for information we already have. It's like you going to buy the latest Harry Potter novel and being expected to pay for all the books you already have again.

So wise up. GW are not your friends. They don't play with you, we do, your fellow gamers.

I've often wondered how much of the complaining about GW is grumpy old men stuff, to be honest. 'I remember when blister packs were tuppence ha'penny and you had to get the rules tattooed on yer arm 'cos paper was scarce, back when men were man unless they were Elves or Dwarfs. Then bloody Disraeli came along with his la di da ideas and the hobby hasn't been the same since.'

Seriously though, GW should just release a LRB, but there is no point hating the BRB simply for being what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabnutz View Post
    Hmm... so young and so full of wisdom already.

Have you ever considered that there may be a reason that us middle-aged guys, who have loyally supported GW since it started, and that have treble your gaming experience, are complaining?

We are not disagreeing with the developers and the new rules, hell we want to play the new rules. But we are tired of being ripped off and being expected to pay again for information we already have. It's like you going to buy the latest Harry Potter novel and being expected to pay for all the books you already have again.

So wise up. GW are not your friends. They don't play with you, we do, your fellow gamers.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've often wondered how much of the complaining about GW is grumpy old men stuff, to be honest. 'I remember when blister packs were tuppence ha'penny and you had to get the rules tattooed on yer arm 'cos paper was scarce, back when men were man unless they were Elves or Dwarfs. Then bloody Disraeli came along with his la di da ideas and the hobby hasn't been the same since.'

Seriously though, GW should just release a LRB, but there is no point hating the BRB simply for being what it is.
    I don't hate the BRB, Id love to own one, and one day in two years time when someone gets fed up with theirs I'll buy it on Ebay for a sensible amount of money (just before the 1000 page £200 9th edition gets released).

But lets look at this in context of real world events.

Global recession is here. The financial institutions of the world are in the toilet. Many countries economy's are near collapse. Unemployment, redundancy and cut backs stalk the planet like a.. well.. a big stalky thing.
    Little Timmy's parents worry about how they are going to afford Christmas presents.

Games Workshop, in a bid to revive its flagship system, release the most expensive set of wargames rules...ever!

How does this make any sense at all? What the hell are they thinking? Are they really that removed from reality?

Do you think I'm being to negative, too harsh? Look at it from my point of view. 6 months ago I was made redundant from a well paid job. I was extremely lucky to find another job within a month, although not nearly as well paid. Lots of people are not so fortunate.

From where I stand this strategy is incomprehensible.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Unsurprisingly I agree with Aldramech.

When it comes down to it we are both grognards, the Old Guard. We're only grumpy because we see GW trying to sell us 400 pages of something we have already paid for at least once if not several times over. I'd also love to have a copy of the 8th edition rules. Do GW actually think they can resurrect WFB by making it more expensive to play?

If the 528 pages were all rules then maybe we'd just stump up for it. There are other wargames systems whose rules and supplements come to similar page counts and expense, but those books contain information that is vital to playing the game.

So bring on the LRB. I hope that I can pick up a copy somewhere or I'm going to be like Aldramech and have to wait until someone else despairs of GW's rules and lets me have it for a song. I expect that I am not alone.

I understand your arguments completely, I think GW should release a LRB even though I'm perfectly thrilled with the BRB. My previous post was tongue in cheek and really just an excuse to say 'tuppence ha'penny'.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

As someone who is not part of the old guard (only played 40k for over a year now and just now starting fantasy my background comes from other games) and someone who orders books for a living that make this price look like a penitence, even I think the price is a bit absurd. Since it is released by the company that owns the license to the product there is no reason the price could no be lower. The reason textbooks are so expensive is because of licensing fees and other added costs for text books (yes some is just driven up by the publisher) Take an art history book for instance, a 800 page full color book with almost 5 pieces of art per page costs a little over 150 dollars. The reason he price is so high is due to the publisher needing to pay for every single one of those images. I know I drew a comparison to the Pathfinder RPG is a previous post, it has less pictures mind you then the new fantasy book but it runs 50 USD and most of that cost is driven up by licensing as well. I feel the fantasy book is about 10 to 15 dollars more then it should be heck maybe even 20 I have only had a few glances at the book so far. I am probably going to buy this book mind you, just because I am not familiar with the fluff and I like looking at painted armies and painting tips even if I already know how to paint a miniature. Though you could very well be paying for development costs, but I do not see how development of a rule book is any more intensive the the development of a video game or a text book that is only driven up by license fees.

I think we are all in agreement that they should release a book of just rules. But, I think they want that book to help sales of the starter box. Ya for marketing strategies that make no sense, or are even self destructive.
    Last edited by Toastix; 06-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.

If you can't afford it then wait for the mini rule book or even the big one to appear on Ebay for cheaper

I understand your arguments completely, I think GW should release a LRB even though I'm perfectly thrilled with the BRB. My previous post was tongue in cheek and really just an excuse to say 'tuppence ha'penny'.
    Anytime you want to say 'tuppence ha'penny' you go right on ahead and say it
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Gooball View Post
    If you can't afford it then wait for the mini rule book or even the big one to appear on Ebay for cheaper
    Thanks Gooball I'll just stop playing competitively because the company that owns my hobby has decided to price me out of it?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast