BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Returning Player - Mech Tau, No Suits? 1850....

Hi Guys,

Long time Tau player but out of the loop for a long time at this point, probably the last time I played 40k seriously was in 2006 or so.

As I look to get back into the game I am once more drawn to Tau, which have always been my favourite faction. Having done all sorts of things in the past I am thinking it might be fun to do something completely different... The idea of Tau as a very mobile force has always appealed to me much more than a gun line approach. As such I have been thinking about a sort of airborne infantry style army..

Would love to get your guys thoughts?

Fireblade - 60pts
    2 x Marker Drones - 24pts
    = 84pts

Firewarrior Strike Team (7) - 63pts
    2 x Marker Drones - 24pts
    Devilfish - 80pts
    Twin linked SMS - 10pts
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 183pts

Firewarrior Strike Team (12) - 109pts
    Devilfish - 80pts
    Twin linked SMS - 10pts
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 205pts

Firewarrior Strike Team (12) - 109pts
    Devilfish - 80pts
    Twin linked SMS - 10pts
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 205pts

Firewarrior Breacher Team (10) - 90pts
    Devilfish - 80pts
    Twin linked SMS - 10pts
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 186pts

Firewarrior Breacher Team (10) - 90pts
    Devilfish - 80pts
    Twin linked SMS - 10pts
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 186pts

Armoured Interdiction Cadre = 670pts

Hammerhead Gunship - 125pts
    Twin linked SMS - free
    Submunition Rounds - 5pts
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Disruption Pods - 15pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 146pts

Twin linked SMS - free
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Disruption Pods - 15pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 146pts

Twin linked SMS - free
    Sensor Spines - 5pts
    Disruption Pods - 15pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 146pts

(2) Skyray Gunship Squadron - 115pts
    Twin linked SMS - free
    Disruption Pods - 15pts
    Black Sun Filter - 1pt
    = 232pts

Total = 1719pts

So the general idea being - very mobile, lots of objective secured, and hopefully some decent firepower.

The fireblade & his unit are probably the only thing that would begin most games disembarked, as he can then use his marker light & the FW's can simply add a little bit of shooting somewhere.

Right now as you can see I have some points to play with, so would be cool to get some ideas there. I know it says no suits in the title, but I was playing with the idea of some stealth suits. Kinda cool thematically as a sort of recon element....

Look and feel of the army is way more important to me that winning at all costs, but it would be nice if the list were vaguely competitive

Thoughts? Does it totally suck, any good?

Thanks!

Ps - I would be curious. Is this original or do a lot of Tau players play this was these days?

Hey Nem, I am new to the BOLS Lounge, but was very active on DakkaDakka (under same tag)... I wrote a "New to Farsight Enclaves" guide to help newer or returning players. If you can search for it that could help you get caught up on some of the newer units and why Suit heavy lists are very popular. K nuff of that!

I like your list, I love seeing actual Tau armies.. The current competitive meta is Riptide wing + 1-2 stormsurges + whatever you need to fill points.. and that in my opinion is extremely boring. It is not that fun to play, it does not look super cool in my opinion to what an "army" looks like... But it is extremely good. Heck look at LVO, you can see a riptide wing in nearly every other list including allied to <insert top tier list>.

Now to your list. What are some weaknesses off the bat? AP. breachers have some ap3.. but they are not reliant because they need to be so close to get it. (hunter cadre helps with this because you can run them and then shoot). I love the passion you have for a mecha list. To help with this AP problem. Consider taking 1 or 2 Ion hammerheads in that formation. That could really help you out.

markerlights are another one.. with so much bs3 infantry, you really need the help to be most effective. Consider this... you have 131 points as is. You took 4 extra drones in squads (48 points) so you have now.. 179 points. If you can cut 45 more points. you can now take a third detachment of Drone Net. This is 16 total drones that can be all markerlights. Get a ton of rules, and are bs3 (in your shooting phase). That will definitely benefit you I think.

Hope those few tips help you out!