BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There really are only two choices Space Wolves.........or sissy marines.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

I have this strange urge once the new Space Wolf figures come out to form a small force of them and make them on successor chapter called something like "The Knights of Spa-Ham" with a battlecry of "Spam, Spam, Spam, LOVELY SPAM!" and then an inquisitor yells "SHUTUP! (blood vikings)"

Maybe for a Rogue Trader or Witch Hunters army...

Librarian

Blood Angels! Blood Angels!

Or do what I did, and make a hybrid Blood Angel/Standard marine chapter so you can use the redeemer and decent point values.

I agree with all who have said that you need to find a chapter that you really love, whether it is a GW chapter or your own creation. Without love for the army, one risks becoming bored with it too quickly. I find this especially true when painting the army.

For myself, my Space Marine army grew out of my Deathwatch/Alien Hunters army where I was using Allied Space Marines. The fluff of the Red Hunters always being ready to assist the Ordo Xenos just made them a logical choice. In addidion, the lack of a great deal of backstory means that I can do almost anything I want with them as far as composition and organization. Having the Inquisition support also helps explain some of the choices.

Initiate

All,

Overwhelmed at the response - many thanks to all who have replied.

I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research. Keep coming back to the Ultramarines (or variant of) due to my basic lack of knowledge of the rules and wanting to keep it simple.

However, read the first Heresy book last week and am loving the fluff around the Sons of Horus (pre-later story developments) - are they covered at all in the 'How to Paint Space Marines' book? Would love to know what their colours were.

Is using an old Chapter, i.e. pre-turning, acceptable?

Thanks!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Ph1ltheee View Post
    All,

I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research. Keep coming back to the Ultramarines (or variant of) due to my basic lack of knowledge of the rules and wanting to keep it simple.

However, read the first Heresy book last week and am loving the fluff around the Sons of Horus (pre-later story developments) - are they covered at all in the 'How to Paint Space Marines' book? Would love to know what their colours were.

Thanks!
    Yes, Pre-Heresy Armies are relatively common, but don't do it if you want to keep things simple. To keep things in line with fluff, you neeed to really do a lot of research, makes sure you use only the right model of Space Marine Armor, etc... Essentially, it's a very complex process that can be very interesting and rewarding, but is going to be very expensive and Time Consuming. If I recall, BigRed has a massive pre-Heresy Deathguard force, and I don't even want to KNOW how much time that took.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ph1ltheee View Post
    All,

Thanks!
    You can find their colors here for Luna Wolves

or here for Sons of Horus

Agreed though with POV...doing the Pre-Heresy chapters--if you want to be accurate--can be very hard with all the studding and other differences in the armour.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredpraetorian View Post
    There really are only two choices Space Wolves.........or sissy marines.
    Ahem. The Black Templars would like to have a word with you.

Veteran-Sergeant

As would the Promethium cannons of the salamanders!
    No this world is theirs!

Chaplain

Frankly, I thing everybody except the Pretty Marines would take offense to that.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast