BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Eldar minimal list 500pts

So I just took part in a WH40k tourny at the local store. The rules were wysiwyg, abosolutely no proxies, no lords of war and not a dram over 500pt. They actually had 16 sign up but we kicked off with 10 players and two arrived late. The two late arrivals opted to game but missed the first round so were never in the running to get a place. I won second place with the following list but realised I might have had first if I had realised that supporting units can not overwatch on two separate targets charging. The lad who got first beat me on the strength of that.

Spirit Seer 70 pts Included witch staff & shuriken pistol, rune armour Psyker lvl2
    Wraithseer 215 pts Included MC Glaive and D-Cannon Psyker level 1
    Wraith Blades x 5 150 pts Included Ghost Blades
    Wind Riders x 3 61 pts Included 1 Scatter Laser

Total Points 496

A very hard to kill unit but with only two real shooting threats. I relied on the toughness of the units and Psychic phases to last long enough to get into combat.

In the first game my opponent was very inexperienced and assaulted the Wraithseer in the belief that he could knock him out with force weapons. However I rode my luck and then counter assaulted with the Wraithblades and that was the end of that. He had a CAD - In the main unit 2 x Librarians, 2 x Marines with grav guns. Attached unit was 3 x Raven wing bikes and a Land Speeder which was the only unit taken out by the D-Cannon but he lost a biker to the scatter laser and failed a moral check.

The second game involved another Eldar with 2 x 3 Scatterbikes and 1 battery 3 D-cannon and 1 D-cannon in second battery. I won 1st kill by dropping my D template on his single D-Cannon battery, unbelievably he left the seer alone and dropped the D on my jet bikes. I then pinned one JB sqd and assaulted the other and from their in my next turn assaulted his other D battery and then hit his remaining bikes with my Wraithblades.

The third one was against Tau who sported a Riptide, 2 XV8's, 2 x Fire Warrior Sqd, Pathfinder Sqd and a Fire Blade Commander. I lost that on turn 6 with the elimination of my bikes who were holding an objective. But this was where the overwatch issue came in. I lost my SPiritseer and Wraithblades in one assault and the Wraithseer in a second when both charged different units and he used supporting fire against both. My Wraithseer should not have been overwatched because all his units hit the Blades & SS. Live and learn

So was my list overpowered ?

Chaplain

New list - The next tourny is 750 points and I have added an allied attachment of Dark Eldar.

Eldar Scout Force - Minds Eye
    070 pts - Spiritseer - witch staff, shuriken pistol, Psyker level 2
    215 pts - Wraithseer - Wraithspear master crafted, D-Cannon, force shield Psyk' lvl 1
    150 pts - Wraith blades - 2 x Ghost Blades each
    111 pts - Wind Riders & Warlock, Psyker lvl 1 & Witch Blade, Scatter Laser

546 Sub-total

Dark Eldar Allies - The Shard
    65 pts - Archon with Parasites Kiss (Pistol)
    69 pts - 8 Kabalite Warriors - Splinter rifles & Shredder
    75 pts - Raider disintigrator cannon, advanced aethor sails, night shields

209 Sub-total

755 Force Total. I found out that the allow a little over the points limit in these tournaments, hence 755 instead of slightly less as has happened previously.

I found that you can take the Raider as a fast attack without taking it as a dedicated transport. The Archon and Kabalite Warriors will hang at the back holding the home objective. The Raider will transport the Wraith Blades and Spiritseer to the other side and the bikes gain some more durability with the Warlock. The Wraithseer can hang with the Archon. Still remains hard to kill, fast and dangerous in assault, which was where a lot of damage was done in the last tourny.

I think there is a bit to be learned in small points actions. It sharpens up the tactics as there is little room for error. Of course we gamed on the terrain tiles, 2 x 1 with 3 - 4 pieces of terrain from ruins to woods.

Too Cheesy ?
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 01-09-2017 at 12:11 AM.