BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Initiate

Default The great quest of inevitable failure! (pic heavy)

Hey guys, long time lurker, but 1st time poster/blogger. I actually started this project in theory about 4-5 weeks ago but never actually posted. But its been fun to track so far, so, alas…

Provisionally entitled: “The epically precarious and uncharacteristic quest to achieve even a modicum of being proud of something that I myself, yes me, actually painted.” or more simply “The quest to not suck” or more likely "The great quest of inevitable failure".

/Prologue/
    Nov‘16

So, let’s get to it. tldr? I can’t paint. Well, not that well. Certainly not as well as I’d like to be able to. For about 15 years now, I’ve been haphazardly drybrushing, subsequently maybe adding a few slapdash “highlights”, and then maybe (only recently) a wash or two, to amass what is usually only a 30% (if I’m lucky) “painted” army. The quality of which can only be described as something between “table-top quality” and “slightly above table-top quality in a very specific lightning/setting”.
    Sound familiar? Feel free to join me on my quest!

Currently level: meh

End goal: Paint the wife an ornament type “masterpiece” for her birthday (Sept, I’ve got plenty time). Preferably something that she might actually end up using as an ornament (optimism is a good thing, right?).

Problem: hahahaha!

To be continued…

/Chapter 1:/ What to paint!?
    Nov‘16

Deciding on a model.
    I think, based on her tastes, it has to be something fantasy-esque (she quite frankly hates most of my 40k/30k stuff). She likes dragons and elves and stuff, though, and I would like it to be quite a large “masterpiece” worthy model.
    Conclusion…
    After much research and debacle, I have decided on Forge World’s Elspeth von Draken on Carmine Dragon. Feel free to advise other options.

/Chapter 2:/ Inspiration
    Nov ‘16

So, I’ve also been a serial lurker on CoolMiniOrNot for most of my hobby years, y'know, just for the general purposes of wallowing in masochistic self-pity. Nonetheless, it is a reasonable source of inspiration. Note that I’m in no way actually expecting this to turn out even remotely as good as any them…

Main inspirations [NOT MINE CREDIT GIVEN]…
    Ana

KAHA

Picster

As you can see, I’m quite the fan of the exaggerated blending of completely unrealistic and contrasting bright colours. Surely it can’t be that hard, can it???? (yes, I’m aware there is a fine line between optimism and denial)

/Chapter 3:/ Becometh learnedeth
    Nov ‘16

Luckily the internet is a wash with tutorials. I’ve decided that I shall read/watch the entire backlog of relevant tutorials from (among many many others)….

Chest of Colors
    [url]http://chestofcolors.com/tutorials/painting/[/url]

and

Awaken Realms
    [url]http://awakenrealms.com/tutorials/[/url]

/Chapter 4:/ Research and Invest
    Nov - Dec ‘16

So, having thoroughly investigated how to actually paint, I came to the stark realisation that I knew absolutely nothing about painting.

Result…
    Step 1: Find/blow the dust off current equipment and paints

Step 2: Laugh

Step 3: Throw pretty much all of it away

Step 4: Buy new stuff

It would appear there is something called an airbrush, who knew?!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neo kit.gif 
Views:	95 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	19450

It would also appear that there are various types! Neo for priming/basing, Sotar for details/everything else

Name:	sotar.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	19451

Vallejo Game Color! Such bright, much wow!!

Name:	game colour.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	19452

Badger Minitaire Ghost tints (bundled with the Sotar 20/20), might be useful?

Name:	ghost tints.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	19453

How to pretend you can actually paint 101.

Name:	shades.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	19454

Some decent primer, black/light grey for zenithal priming (yes, I speak painting lingo now, SENMM etc etc)

Step 5: Profit

EDIT: It all arrived! The Vallejo box smells so damned good.

To be continued...
    Last edited by helqq; 12-19-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Initiate

/Chapter 5:/ Colourful Colours of Colour
    Dec ‘16
    So colour theory is a thing, who knew!

I put together a few of my favourite analogue and split complementary blends (top right), then selected a few central theme and brached out from them (colour scheme thing I made)
    Now what?

#

I put the colour scheme next the model pic and tried to identify the main zones and focal points, and then this happened…

I think I got a bit carried away lol, of course the idea is only vaguely portrayed, but I think it’d be ridiculously awesome, so why not! I like the idea of enlarging the base and giving it a molten rock/lava surrounding. I kind of have this idea that a volcano has just erupted nearby and lava has only just started to flow past and the dragon has returned to save it’s egg (there is a dragon egg in in the base).

Base extension

Check out my epic paint skillz! Ran with the whole new lava flow/egg in danger deal, think it allows for making the base more size appropriate while at the same time making the whole scene a lot more dynamic. It also allows for an extra colour dimension in the base, i.e. the yet to be covered areas

\Chapter 6:\ Buy model and get to it!
    Dec ‘16

Model will be ordered soon, however, I sadly won’t actually be able to “get to it” until mid-Feb/March due to unexpected christmas/work/life commitments involving me temporarily living in a different country lol.

Nonetheless, if you wish to be provided with amusement as I will inevitably fail, watch this space!
    Comments, criticisms, advice, pointers to guides, ways to practice prior to painting directly on the model etc etc would are very welcome and would be much appreciated.
    See you in the new year!

/Peace

To be continued…