BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The cost of 8th ed

Hey just to let you know I did some searching and found that as of today 6-15 7:15am CST
    These are the costs and conversion rates for the 8th ed book.

Britsh version 45 pounds = $66
    Irish version 60 Euros = $73
    Canadian version C$90 = $87
    American version = $75

Thats the value of the British Pound vs the US dollar

Factors to consider.
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=community&p Index=3&aId=9300010&start=4[/url]

Hope you guys get the best deals you can

You forgot the Australian dollar:
    Rulebook is 124AUD or £72 or 106USD.

So really you Americans have little to complain about compared to others. I can understand prices being a little higher outside Great Britain (GW being in a British company) but it really is getting punitive for our antipodean friends.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I think currently the best deals for non direct only stuff is to buy in bulk from one of the UK based web discounters. If you buy enough the shipping cost is not a big deal even if they charge one. I generally only buy direct stuff currently so that does not really help.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    You forgot the Australian dollar:
    Rulebook is 124AUD or £72 or 106USD.

So really you Americans have little to complain about compared to others. I can understand prices being a little higher outside Great Britain (GW being in a British company) but it really is getting punitive for our antipodean friends.
    You're 100% correct here, and it's not only hurting customers, but it's hurting both the retailers down here (such as Area52 in Tasmania) and GW-Australia as a whole - they're losing a good number of their customers to the US and UK mail order places, including GW-US and GW-UK.

Yep, it was cheaper to buy Space Hulk from GW-US and pay $20 to them for international shipping than it was to get it down here.

Veteran-Sergeant

£45 quid? They're having a laugh!

Now don't get me wrong, I work hard for a not too shabby wage, but I have a wife, three kids and a mortgage. There is no way I can afford £45 for a set of rules - and that's all they are, some rules, no matter how prettily they dress them up.

The hints in the press release would indicate that they will be trying to increase unit sizes to sell more figures as well.

Well I won't be buying these, I'll soldier on with 7th edition...

Quote Originally Posted by Grabnutz View Post
    £45 quid? They're having a laugh!

Now don't get me wrong, I work hard for a not too shabby wage, but I have a wife, three kids and a mortgage. There is no way I can afford £45 for a set of rules - and that's all they are, some rules, no matter how prettily they dress them up.

The hints in the press release would indicate that they will be trying to increase unit sizes to sell more figures as well.

Well I won't be buying these, I'll soldier on with 7th edition...
    Agreed
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

"but, but, but... It's over 500 pages of color!"

yeah... Beyond the rules, anyone who is already familiar with Warhammer (I'm guessing) won't get much out of the new rulebook- as the modeling section will be (again I'm guessing) primarily novice-level hobby tips. And those novices? Will they spend their $75 on this?

Granted, compared to video games these days, it's not that bad. With many Xbox360 and PS3 titles going for ~$60, the WFB Rulebook does present a better value in terms of enjoyment you get out of it, the time you spend playing it, and in a pinch, energy costs. Just something to think about. I might be comparing apples to oranges here, though. Thoughts?

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah, but who needs a 500 page tome at the table? It would need it's own trolley just to cart it about.

How many pages are actually needed? 50? So you're paying £1 or $2 per useful page... no thanks.

Besides computer games cost hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars to develop, if not more.

Most of this new tome will be recycled from the huge library of WFB Fluff. Add a few new pictures and photos, and change just enough of the rules to make every tournament player have to have it.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I was thinking of getting a collectors edition, but damn, 125 bucks....I can afford it, but what really am I going to do with it? I'll read it once and it'll end up sitting on my shelf looking pretty. I don't need modeling tips, and I've read most of the lore. I may just wait for the little book to come out.

So wait for the starter set book to start appearing on eBay. Personally I think the new book is worth every penny, it is absolutely gorgeous. A bargain, in fact, compared to what I have to pay for other books which are not in full colour. Still annoyed about paying three hundred pounds for some art history textbooks in partial colour...
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast