BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Play-by-Post Recruitment Thread

It looks like if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. So, I'm going to start a play-by-post game myself. If this inspires someone to want to run a game later, that would be awesome. But, since I have the biggest burn for this to happen, I am going to take point.

Here are the answers to a few questions you might have:

1. What's Play-by-Post?

Play-by-post is the slowest kind of roleplaying imaginable. Essentially, it takes the form of a roleplaying game run entirely via posts to a web forum, such as this one. Players will post with their character's actions. The GM (that's me) will post with requests for rolls and the like. Altogether, it will take a very long time... however - and you've got to trust me on this, because I've seen it - it can nevertheless be a very rewarding form of storytelling.

2. How Much of a Commitment Is It?

This is the beauty of play-by-post. The answer is "almost none at all." All I ask is that you be willing to post at least once a day. Of course, if everyone posts more often, the game will go faster, but once a day should keep everything going at a nice clip.

3. Ok, I'm Curious, But... What Kind of Game Are You Looking For?

I haven't decided yet. I want to see what kind of energy there is in my players.

Huh... you know, the more I talk about this, the more pumped I'm getting about running this. My players... this is going to be fun.

Anyway, I'm looking for a low degree of pvp action - though I'm not outlawing it altogether. I'd like to keep it to a limited degree. Additionally, I'm hoping to take this whole thing fairly seriously. Not 100% seriously, so feel free to pitch characters with flaws that are entertaining, but not completely silly, either. A happy (well, grimdark) medium.

4. I'm Interested! What Do I Do Next?

Go ahead and post to this thread. If you have a character concept - pitch it! If you don't, just watch this thread and we'll see if anyone else has any ideas that spark you up.

I think this could be a fun time. I hope some of you agree.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I have varying characters for different games in my head.
    40k campaigns are pretty fun.

I'll put my name down.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

I may be interested, dependant on what game is being played!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    I may be interested, dependant on what game is being played!
    You're only the second person to respond to this thread - you may well get to help decide which game is being played!

For context, I'm likely to not use any of the systems. I only own Rogue Trader, which would sharply limit our options. I'd probably use a hack of the FATE system. It's easy, versatile - the basic mechanics are a free and totally legal download - and it generally creates a fun and cinematic experience, rather than a clunky and mechanical one. The FATE system is a lot less granular than most RPG systems, which will make it easier for us to use multiple character types side-by-side. Your Space Marine could have all sorts of Aspects and Skills related to his martial prowess and tactical brilliance, but that doesn't mean that TDA's Inquisitor couldn't have enough Aspects for psychic power and generalized sneakiness to make him competitive in the same game.

So, in other words, if there's a character type you want to play... just pitch it. Everyone who comes after you will have to adapt!
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Inquisitor Silas Kane.
    A jaded, and world-weary character who has a long standing career as an Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus. Neither a radical nor a puritan, Silas does what it takes to get the job done.
    Silas has worked besides many Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes, and believes they are the only true way to stop the evils in the universe; from within, and without.
    Silas possesses telepathic psychic powers, able to enter the minds of the weak-willed with ease to get the information he desires.

Chapter-Master

Low time commitment and fun? Count me in.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

YEY BEAST!

Dale is excite.

Chapter-Master

d.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Occuli Imperator

I am curious, I've never done this sort of thing before.

ly.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Soren Locke, dispossessed Imperial Noble.
    A sword for hire to the highest bidder, has and will work with pretty much anyone, so long as there is chance for adventure and profit. Inveterate womaniser, skilled swordsman, suburb conman, reckless risk taker and compulsive (borderline addict) gambler. Has a long standing resentment of Imperial bureaucracy and Imperial nobility who he blames for the mysterious downfall of his house when he was just a child. Willing to endanger the mission if a golden opportunity to 'stick it to the man' presents itself, be that sleeping with the Planetary Governors daughter or selling security codes for the Arbites courthouse to the local gang.
    I'm thinking rogue class with persuasion, disguise, lock picking, swordplay skills. Probably some weaknesses to gamble and lack of trust from his teammates.

How does that sound?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast