BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Astra Militarum Air Cavalry

Hi all. I've been tinkering with a mechanized/air cavalry list. My local meta is pretty heavy with monstruous creatures and various power armour melee units. I don't need to be incredibly competetive but i would rather not get steamrolled every game i play. Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

HQ

3x company command squads
    4 meltas each

1 company command squad
    Chimera
    2x plasma gun
    Officer of the fleet

Troops
    4x veterans in chimeras
    2x plasma gun 1x heavy flamer for each squad

Heavy support
    2x wyvern

Fortifications
    Aegis defense line with comms relay

Formation
    Emperor's spear
    3x vendetta

So my thoughts are that i would load the three melta command squads in the vendettas. The vendettas would pretty much be guaranteed to come in on turn two with the comms relay and the officer of the fleet as well as the formation bonus. I think i would park the five chimeras behind the aegis and pop smoke launchers turn one. I know thats less firepower but i think surviving that first turn before the vendettas arrive is pretty key. The one thing im not sure about is the heavy flamer in each vet squad. Its a nice bit of a deterrent to melee units but i know plasma and flamer combo is kind of odd. Maybe i should switch up a squad or two to be meltas? I'm open to suggestions!

Chaplain

Not so much an Air Cavalry unit as an air supported unit, particularly with the Aegis defence line, though I take the point that it is a portable defence line. Do the rules actually allow for the deployment of the ADL during the battle? Because that would make the game a little more interesting. The other question I have is, why 3 company command squads? Wouldn't you be better off buying Veteran units or Tempestus units? I posted an armoured company list of 750 pts doing this.

Yeah i wanted a mechanized force on the ground and i actually only have three flier models at the moment so this is the best I could do as far as air cav. Also, the vendetta, which I wantex to run over the valk can only carry a unit of six, which the ccs fits and vets dont. Also, ccs has 4 special weapons whereas vets only carry three. Ccs can also order other ccs to itnore cover, making those 4 meltas much more dangerous. Finally, the point cost difference is negligible - ccs costs ten points more than vets if both are kitted out with full meltas. This is just the cost of adding an additional melta. And i love tempestus but a squad with 2 meltas for 90 points seems inefficient when my ccs are coming in at 100 with orders and 4 meltas. I think ccs are the often overlooked best infantry unit guard has to offer.