BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Firing templates out of fire points

If I have a squad equipped with template weapons such as flamers, can I fire them out of, say, the top hatch of a rhino?

I ask this because, if the top hatch is the point of origin, then the only way to place the flamer template would be to place it such that part of it covers the hull of the rhino. If the unit inside is firing the flamer, is it disallowed from firing because the template is touching a friendly model? Or is this an exception to the rule that you can't torch your own guys? Is the rhino hit, which could theoretically damage it, or is it ignored?

What do you think? Can anyone reference any part of the rule book that would allow for template weapons firing from vehicles?

Strictly speaking, you are entirely correct. There is no way to fire a template weapon from the top hatch of a Rhino that does not violate the rules for firing template weapons, and GW has never addressed this issue in either FAQs or errata. I think most people would allow it, but it is admittedly in direct violation of the rules.

Of course, so is firing a vehicle-mounted template weapon whose muzzle does not clear the hull of the vehicle (e.g., flamer-armed Immolators and Razorbacks). I think it's on that basis that most people would allow the violation - if you play this one strictly by the rules, I'm pretty sure that a flamer-armed Immolator can never fire (though I don't own an Immolator model to double check for you).
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 06-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Chapter-Master

Right, it's not really legal, but if your opponent tries to refuse to let you do it then, well, smack him around or something.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

After later consideration, and rereading the template rules, this doesn't actually seem illegal. When firing a flamer the template is actually required to touch the firing model, but cannot touch any other friendly models. This means that vehicle mounted weapons have no problem firing their weapons, which have the added requirement of measuring from the barrel of the flamer weapon, but still can be and in fact must be in contact with the template.

As for the squad shooting out of the rhino, although the unit inside has the flamer and the "fluff" has a marine pulling the trigger, the vehicle is in fact the point of origin of the template, so it counts as the firing model for the purpose of placement. Otherwise it would be impossible to shoot templates out of fire points, not because the template is touching a friendly model, but because the template is not touching the model firing it, since the model firing it is off of the table!

So we can safely conclude that template weapons can be fired both by and from vehicles, as in both cases the rhino/immolator/razorback is functionally the firer and so must be touched by the template.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kAlex View Post
    After later consideration, and rereading the template rules, this doesn't actually seem illegal. When firing a flamer the template is actually required to touch the firing model, but cannot touch any other friendly models. This means that vehicle mounted weapons have no problem firing their weapons, which have the added requirement of measuring from the barrel of the flamer weapon, but still can be and in fact must be in contact with the template.

As for the squad shooting out of the rhino, although the unit inside has the flamer and the "fluff" has a marine pulling the trigger, the vehicle is in fact the point of origin of the template, so it counts as the firing model for the purpose of placement. Otherwise it would be impossible to shoot templates out of fire points, not because the template is touching a friendly model, but because the template is not touching the model firing it, since the model firing it is off of the table!

So we can safely conclude that template weapons can be fired both by and from vehicles, as in both cases the rhino/immolator/razorback is functionally the firer and so must be touched by the template.
    You know, I've thought about this rationale too, and in many ways I like it - it's certainly my go-to answer if somebody needs a technical reason why you can do what we all seem to agree should be possible. One thing bothers me, though: are we saying that the position of the template is theoretically unrelated to the position of either the fire point or the weapon muzzle, so long as the target can be seen by the fire point/weapon muzzle? I remember having this discussion in an earlier thread and I think the answer we came to was technically yes, but it still feels somehow wrong to me.

Veteran-Sergeant

There is no specific rule in the brb that prohibits you from shooting a template weapon from a fire point, yet there are a number of rules that specifically allow it. Which means that yes, it is legal to shoot template weapons from fire points.

The basic function is this: the template is placed with the small end touching the firing model, templates fired from a vehicle are placed touching the weapon's muzzle, fire points count as the "weapon" for determining point of origin for weapons fire from an embarked unit, and at no point is a model considered friendly to itself meaning that the transport is considered to be the point of origin, not the embarked unit. Taken together, there is no specific rule that prohibits template weapon from firing from fire points.

GW has also implied that all units may use the rules specific to those units, as outlined by that unit, without restriction. This specifically means that template weapons may be use with/by transports, even if the weapon is turreted/embarked.

Let no one tell you otherwise.

SJ

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kAlex View Post
    If I have a squad equipped with template weapons such as flamers, can I fire them out of, say, the top hatch of a rhino?
    Yes you can.

Anyone else who says otherwise is a complete douche bag.

There is no argument concerning this issue.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

Anyone else who says otherwise is a complete douche bag.

There is no argument concerning this issue.

Yes, there is an argument. Is the person a vinegar/water douche, or a "mountain spring" douche?

Chaplain

I agree with Buffo. It's no different, really, than an Immolator tank with its twin-flamer turret.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Yes, there is an argument. Is the person a vinegar/water douche, or a "mountain spring" douche?
    Well...

Um...

Er....

I concede!

I was wrong in my assumption....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast