BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Locator Beacons and DS Land Raiders‏

BA Codex p. 31:

If a unit wishes to deploy via Deep Strike and chooses to do so within 6" of a model carrying a locator beacon then it won't scatter. Note that a locator beacon must already be on the table at the start of the turn it is to be used on.

I take an drop pod and load it full of BA Death Company ... 9 of them and Lemartes.

Next I infiltrate a group of scouts at the beginning of the game.

I drop in on Turn 1 as per Drop Pod Assault ... right within 6 inches -- no issues, right? Same as per Vanilla Marines Codex.

Now ... by extension then, I can do that with an LRC full of 15 DC and Lemartes -- the only issue there is whether my opponent can kill the scouts before i make my reserve roll, correct?

my question however, is what constitutes 'within 6 inches'? is it the EDGE of the model / pod? or the center?

Do you mean scout bikers? I do not know about the BA codex but very few things have access to locator beacons in the SM Codex. More have access to teleportation homers like tac squad sergeants.

Chaplain

"Within six inches" refers to any part of the vehicle being within those six inches, in the same manner as all aura effects.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Can Lemartes go in a drop pod since he cannot remove his jump pack?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyOrang View Post
    BA Codex p. 31:

If a unit wishes to deploy via Deep Strike and chooses to do so within 6" of a model carrying a locator beacon then it won't scatter. Note that a locator beacon must already be on the table at the start of the turn it is to be used on.

I take an drop pod and load it full of BA Death Company ... 9 of them and Lemartes.

Next I infiltrate a group of scouts at the beginning of the game.

I drop in on Turn 1 as per Drop Pod Assault ... right within 6 inches -- no issues, right? Same as per Vanilla Marines Codex.

Now ... by extension then, I can do that with an LRC full of 15 DC and Lemartes -- the only issue there is whether my opponent can kill the scouts before i make my reserve roll, correct?

my question however, is what constitutes 'within 6 inches'? is it the EDGE of the model / pod? or the center?
    Note that you can't do this with Lemartes specifically because he has a jump pack.

With that out of the way, though, I expect that the vehicle disembarking rules are similar and so means that as long as your base is within six inches, not wholly within six inches, however, you should be fine. So, yeah, I expect as long as a part of your base, even if it's small, is within six inches that deployment still wouldn't scatter.

As for the first question, yes, a locator beacon (not a teleport homer) will mean that you do not scatter if you drop it within 6 inches of the model carrying the item.

Once again, though, I reiterate that neither of these options of using the drop pod or LRC can fit Lemartes in them. Models with jump packs cannot enter vehicles unless the vehicle has a special rule that allows it (e.g. Storm Raven).

Chapter-Master

'within' is defined on p.3 of the Rulebook.

ex.

the Scout Biker Sgt. is carrying the Locator Beacon. A Drop Pod is placed 'within' 6" of the Scout Biker (remember you place the model first, then measure.) Within, in this case, aiming for the maximum distance is from the tippy edge of the base of the scout biker sgt to the tippy edge of the Hull of the drop pod.

Now, lets say that Drop Pod has a Locator Beacon. Now a Land Raider is deep striking next turn, the tippy edge of the hull of the drop pod to the tippy edge of the hull of the Land Raider must be no more than 6" to be within 6".

Remember, this is based upon the Hull, not the door, weapon, ect.

Brother-Sergeant

DS LRR is sick. With a 6-9 inch DS range off a pod and then a 10 in flame...It has worked a few times for me.
    http://73rd-hellions.blogspot.com/
    2011: Inquisition 6-0-1 ; Imperial Guard 7-0-2 ; Dark Eldar 0-0-0