BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ork Kopta Force

Chapter-Master

Default Ork Kopta Force

Hey Hey

Given that I'm taking a break from working from Warboss Orguzza Veztollon and his Killakopta ([URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7753"]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7753[/URL]) I figured I'd start a new thread for the rest of the Kopta Force.

Currently I'm working on the first of my three Forge World Warkoptas/ChinOrks. I'm planning on doing a little conversion work on the second and third, which may reult in me taking the cockpit off one of the Warkoptas, building up something else and using the cockpit bits to make a very unique Deffkopta.

Newho, to get this thread off to a start, here's a Pic of Warboss Skwardron Leada Orguzza Veztollon swooping down for combat

i like the way the kopta is converted from a warbike, nice way of being orky.

Chapter-Master

Default Warkopta/Chinork 1

Hey guys

This evening I've finished building the first of 3 Warkoptas/Chinorks for the killkopta force. two will be transporting boyz aroune the battle field, or more likely dropping them off and then going to clear/contest other objectives. The third will be transporting a Bik Mek with a Kustom Force Field and a unit of Nobz in to the thick of the fighting as quickly as possible. Newho, I'm sure you're all are more interested in seeing the pics than hearing me waffle about plans, so here you go;

Completed Warkopta

On the Flying Stand. I'm ordering bases from IronHalo.net for all of the kopta force (apart from the Warboss who all ready has a great base) which is why the stand isn't stuck to a base yet

Warkopta without blades. I've made the blades detachable for storage/transportation, and to hopefully help stop them from breaking.

Both sets of rotors are actually bent upwards the way a real helicopter blades would be. Not sure if this was intentional on the part of Forge World on the main baldes (all 3 sets of blades seem to be bent in the same direction but by massively different amounts) but it deffinitely is cast into the smaller blades at the front.

So what have I learnt from this kit? Well, for the most part it is one of the best FW vehicles I've worked on, including some of their increadibley detailed super-heavies and dreadnoughts. There is more detail than I care to mention, or noticed at the FW open day earlier in the year. Naturally this means some of the peices have to be exactly the right shape to match up, leaving little room for bodging bits together, especially on the pilot. Fortunately with resin it is easy enough to heat and bend until it fits properly.

On the downside, the chains connecting the engine to the front rotor are an absolute pain, being very very thing peices of resin. Both peices (one for each side) on all three of my Warkoptas have broken in at least one place, which was fun to repair for this model. The mounts for both sets of blades do have pins built into the model, but they are more locator pins than anything with strength, so if you are planning on making the rotors removable as I have, don't forget to drill and attach more durable pins to either the rotor hubs or their mounting points before you attach either to the rest of the model. I did forget, and it made it quite a bit trickier. As always with FW models, the instructions are appauling. I actually found the photos on their website more use more of the time than those supplied with the model, and like any good engineer I have a few bits left over that I cannot work out what they are or where they are supposed to go. Having come off what is simply listed as the "Control Gubbinz Sprue", which has several componants on it, I'm completely at a loss as to where they could even fit on the model. More bits for my Bitz Box though

Newho, loved working on this kit, even though it was a straight build with no conversions. I'm really looking forward to getting it painted in the next week or so (around moving house) so will hopefully get some pics up as I go along. I'm planning on converting both of my other kits somehow, possibly making one into a more enclosed cockpit/troop bay like a real Chinook, along with possibly taking the cockpit section and turinging it into a more unique Deffkopta as it comes more or less set up to do so... Either way, more details to come soon

Matt

p.s., more pics can be made availible on request

Thats very cool.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Chapter-Master

Hey guys. Between starting my new job and moving into my new flat, I've been a bit lacking on the hobby front recently, but will be making up for that shortly. For now, here's a quick update on the first of my Warkoptas,

I've used a Graphite Metallic undercoat for the warkopta, something I plan on doing for all of my kopta force. It gives more or less the same effect as undercoating in black, over brushing in boltgun metal and then washing down with badab black; all in one easy coat of spray paint!

I've gone with a messy, chipped red paint job for the blades (still trying to decide just how red I'm going to do the body) as I can imagine orks spending tooo much time making the paint neat in the first place, let alone as it gets damaged. The top of the blades is blood red streaks over a scorched brown base, while the underside uses red gore instead of the blood red. in both cases I've left a little of the brown showing through and plan on adding a good few chips in boltgun/mithril, along with a little rust. I'll probably add some other orkish decoration as well.

For the skin of the pilot and grot gunner I've started with a orkhide shade base, dry brushed with snot green. I've then layered and blended some red around the mouths, using blood red, baal red and snot green in various compinations, and added some bruises to the pilot's arms adding warlock purple and ultramarine blue to the above mixes.
    To make the pilot look like he is straining at the controls of the warkopta, i've added in some veins on his arms and around the bruises working up from a mix of mordian blue and dark angels green up to hawk turquoise.finally, to tone down the colours and make the bruises and veins look subcutaneous I've washed everything with thraka green, befor picking out some of the most promenant highlights in a mix of snot green and dark angels green.

As always there are more pics availible for anyone who wants them, especially of the bruising on the ork pilot. Hopefully I'll get some more work done soon.

p.s. Check out my commission painting company, MC Miniatures. Link to the facebook page is in my signature.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Librarian

Fantastic idea mate! It almost makes me want to go orky!

also iron halo bases are really nice, i've been basing my vulture/vendettas on them too.
    Last edited by TSINI; 07-15-2010 at 06:39 AM.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Paintbrush has been flying. Unfortunately I'm still not used to the lighting in my flat, so pics aren't as great as they could be... Newho, I had an idea for making my first warkopta a little more unique; painting it primarily in ice blue, rather than reds. However I got bored of it really quickly and so came up with a back story to make it make sense.

The kopta's gunner decided he didn't like being shot at (being a grot) so decided to paint the kopta 'invizbul' so it'd be the 'same kulur as da sky', forgetting that red wunz go fasta. Whil painting, he got caught by the mek and force to stop.

To this end I've painted the grot with paint all over his hands, face and even on his feet!

I even added foot prints where he had been standing, as well as drips from the paint tin and circles where he put it down.

Chapter-Master

Awesome idea...remember something like that in a white dwarf. Just can't use red paint job on it now!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Hey Guys. Been a while since I updated this, unfortunately because there hasn't been a lot to update (I got convinced to do a bit more work on my super heavy tank company). Still working on Warkopta/Chinork 1, so here's what's changed.

Unfortunately, a good few bits have come off the model due to being poorly glued on and badly transported. On the upside it did give me the oppertunity to get in and around the model a lot more easily.n Here is the underside of the Grot gunner on the nose of the kopta.

Here you can just about see the highlighting I did on the fur on the grot's jacket. I'll confess, I was pretty drunk when I decided to start working on the fur, but I'm pretty pleased with the result all the same.

I decided to do a check pattern on the underside of all the skids of the kopta. As this is the only one of 6 that has come off (so far!) I decided to start here. I used Boltgun metal for where the paint has been scratched off. As the Boltgun Metal is a bit brighter than the spray I used to undercoat the model I decided that it didn't really need highlighting, though I might shade it slightly in places and add some rust once I've done the other skids, depending on how the model looks.

I've also done some work on the furnace. The fire is only a few colour stages, with two mixes between blood red and blazing orange and one between blazing orange and bad moon yellow. Normally for fire, particularly on banners or other freehand work, I'd put in at least three stages between each colour but decided against it for these models due to the limited space and angle at which I could get a paintbrush. Next time I'll probably paint thise before attaching the engine block to the chasis.

Chapter-Master

The tail fin also came off during transport, so I've taken the oppertunity to paint it up a bit more before reattaching it. I also plan on taking some more time to get in and around the engine block before re-attaching it. As with all my ork vehicles I like to make them look as if they have been made from salvaged panels of other vehicles. Here you can see parts of a Blood Raven vehicle, as well as a few bits of an Ultramarine's tank.

This is the Boss icon I plan on using across the Kopta Force, probably as a tattoo on the Warboss himself. I couldn't find any orky glyphs for deffkoptas anywhere, so decided to use the clenched fist from the codex for Boss and turn it into a Kopta-Boss glyph.

Here is the reverse side of the fin, with a bit more rust and damage than the other side.

Again I've used panels stolen from other vehicles, though this time with a Dark Angel's motife. I figured the Orks would like wing patterns on a flying machine (also the reason for the Blood Raven design on the other side) but would add their own crudely daubbed designs for their flying Waargh!

Right, that's itt for now. Hopefully over the next week I'll get to grips with the rest of the model, and who knows, maybe at some point I'll even get on to the rest of the army! As always, comments, criticisms and ideas are very welcome. I'm currently working on the main rotor blades, so hopefully I can get them up on here soon.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast