BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Thousand Sons questions

I purchased a box of CSMs and the Finecast Thousand Sons upgrade kit prior to the Wrath of Magnus coming out. So I sit down to build the CSMs using the kit to make them into Rubric Marines. Well, of course there isn't a warpflamer or a soulreaper cannon in these kits. But I do have the new kit of the Scarab Occult Terminators. I could take the soul reaper canon out of the Terminators' kit and use it with the Rubrics. I guess a normal flamer could be the warpflamer if I want it to be, correct?

So, should I put a soulreaper cannon in the Rubric squad or keep it for the Terminators?

So, that begs the question, what is the best way to configure the Scarab Occult Terminators and the Rubric Marines?

Also, I have the old Ahriman kit; I don't think there is anything different in this kit from the new one as far as game play is concerned, right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Veteran-Sergeant

I magnitized the hands of my Rubrics (it's a pain, but nice to swap them back and forth. What it really boils down to what you want each squad to do. Keep in mind, that unless you have someone with 'Helm of the Third Eye' in the squad, Rubrics cannot fire overwatch. So putting a few flamers in a squad to manage being charged, won't work.

As for Ahriman, the only change in the new boo, is that he can now buy a Disk of Tzeentch for 30pts.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Veteran-Sergeant

Also you need a squad of 10 Rubrics to get the cannon (i.e. expensive) or you could have it in the more points efficient Scarab Terminators - it is not that likely that you will deep strike them in (as they do not have great combat prowess) so long ranged guns (e.g. cannon/ missiles etc.) (other than combi-bolters) is always good on them...

also a neat trick you could do with the thousand sons: take 2x sorcerers (or exhalted sorcerers/ahriman) on disk as a squad. roll on biomancy until you get iron arm, they then go up to T8, S9 in combat (staffs +2, +3 Iron arm) with smash, can turbo boost about the board to get close/ get powers where needed etc. they can also get force off as well for those monsterous creatures/ Belasarius Cawl etc. you could also use the Astaral Grimoire on one of them to give the above Scarab terminators the ability to move rapidly about the board as well...