BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want to hear a Necron joke?

So its become apparent, from my time so far on BOLS that there is a dying respect for necron armies.

They are heavly limited in army selection, but i'm wondering why the necrons have become the butt of all jokes or so it seems.

I personally think they are great. I've play tested a new list a few times now and it works a treat.

so why are necrons a joke?

Chapter-Master

Mainly due to phase out and sweeping advances, really. Especially Phase Out. Those are just two huge drawbacks that you have to somehow get past.

Plus, they lack the means to effectively counter certain power builds. Like Land Raider spam.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Phase Out, having only one troops choice and no ability to move them around the field quickly save for taking Monoliths, but that becomes its own problem because the only effective ranged anti-tank unit also competes for heavy support slots. Immortals are great, Scarabs are too, C'tan ditto, but you have to take the less-than-impressive warriors in bulk to keep your army in the game.

Chapter-Master

Necrons came out in 3rd edition, and in that edition, they were balanced for play during that time.

Now in 5th, there are three main disadvantages that Necrons simply cannot get around anymore....

1) Lack of Anti Tank weaponry. Necrons only really have Heavy Destroyers to take out heavy vehicles in the game because they used to be able to use their Gauss Rule and devastate vehicles with mass fire. This is no longer true.

2) Sweeping Advance. Necrons have LD 10 without many LD rules, so this coupled with their archaic wording on their WBB Rule, makes CC deadly to Necrons.

3) Phase Out. Gauss Weaponry and WBB used to be advantages, so the Necrons were balanced with Phase Out. Now, their advantages are disadvantages, so Phase Out is now 4x the disadvantage it used to be.

Necrons are a joke. This is true.

Ok right i'm liking the valid points.

Phase out, well that's always been a problem so any necron player sort of has to deal with that.

sweeping advance, i'm still unsure on this:
    does anyone have the two exact rulings from both the rulebook and the codex? (im at uni haven;t got my books on me)

or drop me a link to the thread i remember this being discussed.

the tomb spider, does that have ability to take a big anti tank weapon?

yeh gaus weaponry suffered with the new edition, but still quite nice for a basic trooper. means they can atleast prevent movement of a tank or its firing ability.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    the tomb spider, does that have ability to take a big anti tank weapon?
    Nope, they can take claws or the equivalent of a staff of light only fired at BS 2. They also unfortunately compete for heavy support choices. They only other decent tank busters would be War Scythes and C'tan. However War Scythes only come on Lords and Pirahs and neither choice is really attractive because you're basically either suciding an expensive destroyer lord or taking a unit that is very much not worth their points. C'tan are just too many points for you to balance with phase out and trying to fit everything else you need.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    sweeping advance, i'm still unsure on this:
    does anyone have the two exact rulings from both the rulebook and the codex? (im at uni haven;t got my books on me)

or drop me a link to the thread i remember this being discussed. .
    [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7852[/url]

Cheers for the link.

Hmmm a right pickle that one lol

i would argue, that they are casulties, and any csulties ca be brought back by WBB unles its from a power weapon etc.

the rules on sweeping advance say, at this stage the battle is over. if thats the case, in my head i see the battle being won, the victors celebrating, only to be shocked to see necrons rising from the dirt terminator stylee. lol

Aw, I thought this was going to be another humour thread, like:

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Necron
    Necron who?
    No, Necrontyr.
    ...Get of my property.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

iv played necrons a number of times using a freinds army and i have no problem killing tanks , they can rip apart landraiders quite easily since glancing hits can still do enough damage to kill a tank or at least make it useless, and the point that they havent got anything to move around the board quickly, i disagree, theyve got the monolith, veil of darkness, deepstrikers and turboboosters what else do you need. WWB and the lack of options is the main problem, but i like using them since its a challenge and iv won a number of times since people still focus on the fact a monolith has landed on top of them and ignore the 60 odd necron warriors until the monolith is down, by that time its either disgorged a big unit of necrons with a lord or fired at anything big and threatening
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal....." Endemion, Captain of the Iron Warriors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast