BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I understand you are new to the hobby, and new to this forum, so you will not know either who we, on this forum, are, nor the wide range of asshats that play this game like most of us here already know about.

So, my advice may come a bit too harsh, but, grow a pair of nuts dude.

You ran into two neck beards whose lack of sex, due to their large size, makes their crappy armies the focus of their libido and pathetic lives. Don't be a puss and let the actions of two strangers deter you from branching out.

Get out there, meet new people, and have fun!

You are just too new, green, and at that new store you were also too, um, naive. You automatically assume that strangers you meet automatically have more pull, more strength, more clout, in this hobby than you do. This is not true! You just need to man up your tiny nuts a bit and tell those neck beards to get on your lap, and get over your paint job.

Far too often in this hobby I witness bullies, but even more so, I witness people who allow more veteran players to step all over them. Just like any bully you meet in High School, you never turn the other cheek. You get in his neck beard face and tell him, "If you don't like my paint job, then get your crappy wolves off the table you fat neck beard."

Painting is NOT a requirement to play. I have armies from over 20 years ago, still unpainted, because even though I am a video game illustrator, I am not a painter. I prefer to play the game, not paint the figures.

Please, do not judge ALL hobbyists in 40k based on those two jerkwads.

Default Yeah, that was unreasonable

Those guys were morons. He approached you out of the blue for a pick-up game, and you told him you were brand new to the game. He shouldn't have said word one past that... except maybe a joke about not realizing hoooowww new you were to the hobby.

But I have to agree with buffo, grow a pair... don't let two morons run you out of that store.

Ever stop to think those 2 guys might be the most unpopular players at that store... that's probably why they're approaching completely new guys (you) out the blue for a pick-up game: no one else there will play them.

Those guys could be a complete minority there, and the rest of the story could be full of friendly people. Going to a hobby store is a good way to meet new players, see new modeling ideas, and possibly find someone who can teach how to paint better & faster. When I was first starting out, I learned much about painting from watching a guy paint wood elves at our local store. He could paint an entire figure in about 4 minutes. He painted each section separately (arm, shirt, bow, etc), from the white basecoat to final highlights before he moved on to another area. He never got paint on a finished area by accident. It was scary to watch. I learned about 50% of my painting skills just from watching this dude paint.

Chapter-Master

heay as a attende of a secondry school i know how much howmework people get and juggling time between mates, football and school theres little time for 40k however my advice is buy paint buy, this keeps motovation rather than

BUY BUY BUY

paint....

bored

unpainted

BUY BUY BUY

^ not good :P

oh and those guys sound like they enjoy poking themselves with plastic :P

keep up and enjoy the fun hobby
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by klinesmith View Post
    He and another guy he apparently knew chastised me heavily for being unpainted. I mean I couldn't believe what was going on. I had no idea that it was a requirement, only an extension of the game (and admittedly painting is the primary reason I wanted to play). These two older gits were as obnoxious as I've ever met. I was told that if I intend to play this game I had better come with a painted army and that he was insulted that I came down without one. I literally couldn't believe my ears. I explained I had a lack of time and was doing what I could when i could and was told quite literally:
    There are, unfortunately, a lot of #$%^& who can't comprehend the fact that either a) some people don't actually enjoy painting, or b) don't have time or means to paint (especially when you've just started a new army).

There are even more people who aren't #$%^&&^%$s, but still can't seem to understand that just because they love painting, and have set aside plenty of time for it, that doesn't mean that everyone else does the same thing. In fact, some are obsessive over the idea that to play 40k you must paint, regardless of any and all circumstances or opinions.

Edit:
    Oh, and kinda what Buffo said. If someone tries to pull this on you, don't put up with them. Find someone worth playing. And if they keep bugging you and interfering with you, even though you leave them alone... impress upon them the importance of respecting other people. And by impress, I mean explain to them by whatever means are appropriate.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 06-23-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Painting is NOT a requirement to play. I have armies from over 20 years ago, still unpainted, because even though I am a video game illustrator, I am not a painter. I prefer to play the game, not paint the figures.
    Very true. This is one of those "rules" that has gotten embedded in 40K lore that is very clearly not a rule. Some of these "rules," like WYSIWYG, are exaggerations of what the rulebook actually says. Others, like "you have to have a painted army to play" are total fabrications. The rulebook says nothing at all about painting.

And even if it did ... so what? They're your models! If the rulebook did say only painted miniatures could be used, and my opponent and I decided to ignore that rule, what would happen? I'll tell you what - we'd have a good time playing the game.

I know I'm just repeating what others have said, but truly, 40K isn't just one thing. Some people like the "game" aspect of it most. Others like the "hobby" aspect. Heck, some people don't particularly like either, and just like the background most! For those people, collecting the models and playing the game is just a way to experience the fluff they like so much, and more power to them. Most people's enjoyment is their own personal blend of all three. All those types of players should be able to have a good time on the tabletop - if I can distill the "what jerks" reaction I'm seeing in this thread to one thought, I'd say it's this: only a jackass makes his enjoyment of the game dependent upon how you enjoy the game.

Brother-Captain

I'l add my opinion to the pile - those guys were rude to refuse to play you, but you're probably better off avoiding them anyway. If they get their panties in a twist over painting, they're likely to be unfun opponents for other reasons anyway.

I enjoy painting, but I play with a lot of unpainted models. Why? Because I'm tired of painting space marines, and I'd rather spend my free time on other projects, like my small set of daemon minis or DnD minis. Sometimes people will give me crap for painting DnD minis while my space marines remain unpainted, but I politely tell them to go jump in a lake. The whole point of hobby time is to enjoy yourself, so do whatever is fun and ignore the haters.

Yeah. I also enjoy painting, but most of my models are unpainted, because I paint when it will afford me pleasure. I work anywhere from 60 to 120 hours a week, and as 40K is not my only hobby, I can go for months without picking up a paintbrush. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it when I do, or enjoying the game in the meantime.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Yeah. I also enjoy painting, but most of my models are unpainted, because I paint when it will afford me pleasure. I work anywhere from 60 to 120 hours a week, and as 40K is not my only hobby, I can go for months without picking up a paintbrush. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it when I do, or enjoying the game in the meantime.
    Right. Anyone who wants to go on a self-righteous tirade about how "painting is part of the hobby" and "you should make time to paint" and stuff like that can go on the nice convenient Ignore list in the user profile.

Believe it or no, no one gets to dictate how other people should spend their time, nor may they attempt to force their own interests on others.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Very true. This is one of those "rules" that has gotten embedded in 40K lore that is very clearly not a rule. Some of these "rules," like WYSIWYG, are exaggerations of what the rulebook actually says. Others, like "you have to have a painted army to play" are total fabrications. The rulebook says nothing at all about painting.

And even if it did ... so what? They're your models! If the rulebook did say only painted miniatures could be used, and my opponent and I decided to ignore that rule, what would happen? I'll tell you what - we'd have a good time playing the game.

I know I'm just repeating what others have said, but truly, 40K isn't just one thing. Some people like the "game" aspect of it most. Others like the "hobby" aspect. Heck, some people don't particularly like either, and just like the background most! For those people, collecting the models and playing the game is just a way to experience the fluff they like so much, and more power to them. Most people's enjoyment is their own personal blend of all three. All those types of players should be able to have a good time on the tabletop - if I can distill the "what jerks" reaction I'm seeing in this thread to one thought, I'd say it's this: only a jackass makes his enjoyment of the game dependent upon how you enjoy the game.
    Actually it does. Page 3, paragraph 4.

But thats not the point, no one has the right to be rude to anyone over a game of toy soldiers.

I have to say that some of the advice that is being banded about here could very likely get you put in jail, and try explaining that one to the Judge.

Smile, shake your head, walk away.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

I've actually been doing this for I guess about 7 years. I have never had a fully painted army. I've played in a few tournaments, won one but that was with someone elses painted army. If it is a for fun game it shouldn't matter. I have only now seriously started painting an army. Just play with your friends and then when you have a painted army show up and beat his army down.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast