BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Brother-Sergeant

A bunch of interesting observations and I've had a few of my own the last couple weeks. My initial thought of running 2-3 big blocks of Marauders has definitely changed quite a bit. Right now I'm running just one big block of these guys with 2 18 man units of Warriors and a unit of trolls. It's more flexible and seems to work a bit better.
    Magic and War-machines seem to be the bane of big blocks of Infantry right now, there is some nasty stuff out there. I've added 2 Hellcannons to my force right now (although assembly and painting them is turning into a major chore) and they've done really well. Overall, my WoC army has been undergoing drastic changes, from Cav heavy to Infantry heavy...looking forward to Ardboyz and seeing how well it does.

One word...Skaven

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoo View Post
    Would using Doom and darrkness (-3 ld), following by flank charging with a unit of horsemen with terror from dreadnight spell work?
    Wouldn't work because Frenzy means they are Immune to Psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    Here's a Chaos Lord idea I was working on, with the plan of killing Elf super units. It works fine against these guys, too.

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch. Gold Sigil Sword, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Helm of Many Eyes, Stream of Corruption, Daemonic Mount. Turn 1, I charge and kill the champion (with big overkill), doing an additional 3 wounds from breath into the unit. I can reasonably expect to win this round, ending Frenzy. After round 1 I face 12 attacks, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 33% chance of taking a wound each round (11% if you fail fear). I do 6 wounds a round from the Lord and Mount, winning every round, 27.78% chance to break the unit each round (16.67 if LD9 general is near, a lot less if BSB near as well). On average, you will all die to the Lord before you kill him, and you will lose steadfast after a mere 7 rounds.
    Unit of 50 Spearmen, or 15 Swordmasters will be able to take him, don't forget HE's will be attacking before you and (possibly) getting re-rolls, also, if the person you're playing has a mage with lore of life popping the 2 spells for +4 Toughness will no doubt mean you're gonna do nothing.

As for the MoK Marauder horde, why not throw your own marauder horde at it? With MoN instead, more survivable, and then get some Marauder horsemen in on the flank, they'll no doubt lose combat due to the flank charge, lose their Frenzy, then just won't be as good, you'll no doubt have a combat that'll be going on for the rest of the game as well

That Lord build goes before the Swordmasters, as he has ASF and higher Initiative. Swordmasters hit on 4 and wound on 4, and he two 3+ saves against each wound (assuming he has no blessings that make this worse). A maximized unit of 15 Swordmasters will have13 attacks, hit with 6.5, wound with 3.25, and get a wound through once every 3 rounds of combat - if there are any alive at that point.

Having played several dozen games against Lore of Life, I can assure you that the Swordmasters will not have even +2 toughness unless it is cast irresitably, and will never have +4 toughness in my turn, at the very least. And unless they have the Book of Hoeth (or Teclis), IF castings will inevitably benefit me, due to Puppet and the deadliness of the miscast table. Not to mention that my Lord benefits quite a lot from the Lord of Life, what with the incidental healing he will receive and the occasional +2 toughness. And Dwellers is fantastic against Elves...
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

First-Captain

apart from having to aparntly chose lore in your army list for each wizard - not to sure about this rule.
    Teclis would be probably the best counter for this unit. for HE anyway. if you manage to chuck 6 dice for flames then its almost garunteed to irresistable cast, and given teclis doubles dnt miscast and he will ignore the 1st double 6 each turn im quite safe.

Can we get the entire army list? So far all we are doing is this.
    Hey look at that painting isnt it aweseome, but wait what is this one tiny blemish, lets focus on this one tiny lil thing and nothing else, many that tiny lil blemish sure is annoying man I hate that tiny lil blemish. This thread is so focused on one unit out of an entire army that the big picture can not be seen. As anyone who plays these games knows, you must have the ability to look at the big picture and not just one aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorcrash View Post
    Not to sure about the math, but I can say that Mauraders with mark of nurgle are about impossible to kill with just shooting. My empire crossbow and handguns, much less archers are barely hiting and by the time I lose the extra -1 for range he's in my face. So far only steamtank and cannons have had much affect. I also tried a horde blcok of swordsman and Then spearmen. Same result. Even if i get the charge thier higher Int spells doom for my troops
    Flagellants. Take 30, because it's always a good idea to take 30.
    If you see a 10 wide marauder horde, reform to be 14 wide(maximizes contact).
    Then run right at the marauders.
    Martyr on the 1st round.
    You'll have 28 attacks from the front rank, 14 from the 2nd rank and 2 from the 3rd rank.
    So, you're throwing 44 S5 attacks, re-rolling to hit(and possibly re-rolling to wound).
    You've got a good shot at killing them all before they even swing.

Next question,
    If I take a warrior priest, and stick him in with 29 knight with great weapons; how do you kill that horde?
    It's like the marauder horde, only moves faster, gets horse attacks, re-rolls to hit, and has a 2+ armor save(and a magic banner).

The thing to remember with marauders is that they are on 25mm bases. If you are going to go toe to toe against them with 20mm infantry; go 14 wide and take advantage of your narrow bases.

-Matt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234