BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

Use Heavy Bolters!!!

Autocannons are nice but you are BS3 so having 9 shots means more 3 more potential hits per turn than the Autocannons can pump out. Yes S7 is useful against light tanks but if you are relying on your heavy weapons teams to hunt tanks then you're reading the IG all wrong.

Heavy Bolters are very adaptable. They'll mow down scads of infantry and still put a dent into a big critter by sheer weight of fire. Even against enemy transports the sheer number of shots will almost certainly earn you a glancing hit.

Also enemies often overlook Heavy Bolter teams, aiming for the more expensive and supposedly better stuff in the early part of the game. By the middle they are wondering why their transports are burning and their assault teams are eating dirt. By the end, if they survive, the Heavy Bolters are hosing enemy troops off objectives.

I generally have one Heavy Bolter support squad, and also place one in each Infantry Squad as well. This means that if I can draw the enemy into my kill sack I can drop 18 S5 shots on their traitorous/xenos *****. Makes me come over all Tau

In fairness I also have an Autocannon support squad as well because they are good against transports and the lighter tanks (and they draw fire away from my HB's).

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the help! I have put together a Las Heavy Squad and a Morter Squad.
    And I am still thinking about the Company Command Squad. Though now I'm wondering if I might use some of my Command Squad bits, and a spare power claw and storm bolter to make a Commissar Yarric. Is he worth the points in a game? I might make him either way, but he seems kinda costly, and im not sure what he does that is special. Does anyone know how to use him?

The only reason to take Yarrick is for fluff. He is very very inefficient for his massive points cost.

First-Captain

Oh, one other bit of information to get the most oomph out of your heavy weapon squad box.

The sprues give you enough to assemble 1 3 team squad per they're intentions,

But you can get 3 full squads worth with some careful planning.

The most annoying part will be getting 60mm bases, but you can get those from GF9 for like, 30 for $10.00.

The parts are interchangeable, so you can make 3 mortar teams, 3 missile launcher teams (by not using the bipod) and 3 LC/AC/HB teams.

If you want them to be all kneeling, you can buy the bits pretty cheap from ebay or various internet sellers. Otherwise, missile launcher & mortar teams look just find standing. In some ways, it makes the ML teams more dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Oh, one other bit of information to get the most oomph out of your heavy weapon squad box.

The sprues give you enough to assemble 1 3 team squad per they're intentions,

But you can get 3 full squads worth with some careful planning.

The most annoying part will be getting 60mm bases, but you can get those from GF9 for like, 30 for $10.00.

The parts are interchangeable, so you can make 3 mortar teams, 3 missile launcher teams (by not using the bipod) and 3 LC/AC/HB teams.

If you want them to be all kneeling, you can buy the bits pretty cheap from ebay or various internet sellers. Otherwise, missile launcher & mortar teams look just find standing. In some ways, it makes the ML teams more dynamic.
    Agreed. Good advice that. You will find that there is always someone on Ebay selling the kneeling legs.
    I did exactly this and saved myself lots of money.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Take a 60mm base, a pencil, some thick card and a pair of scissors. I think you get the rest
    Anyhoo, once cut out seal with black undercoat.
    Then stick figures to base, cutting slots if you need them, but leave feet/knees/tentacles etc., of the figures about 1-2mm proud.
    Cover base with a household/DIY filler to about 1-2mm, make sure you don't cover the figure's feet.
    As it begins to harden bevel the edge of the filler at a similar angle to a normal base.

Cost = almost nothing if you already have heavy card and filler in your hobby box.

One nice advantage of making these bases yourself is that you can texture the surface to suit your theme.

If you have torso', arms and heads for your gunners, but no kneeling legs then model the base as above, but sculpt it to show a slit trench and cover the trench with camo netting or duckboarding etc to cover the missing legs.
    Generalissimo Grabnutz, never knowingly under-armed.

Veteran-Sergeant

Another thing to do is if you are going to include the heavy weapons in your normal IG squads is place them on 25mm bases. Then position two ordinary figures next to the weapon to represent the crew. You don't have to have a 60mm mini-diorama.
    Generalissimo Grabnutz, never knowingly under-armed.

Abbess Sanctorum

if you are relying on your heavy weapons teams to hunt tanks then you're reading the IG all wrong.
    Whoever said anything about RELYING on them. The benefit of autocannons is adaptability, not specialization.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

About the company command squad, it has two(-ish) roles: Static firebase issuing orders, and a driveby unit in a Chimera. Read: Plasma taxi. If you have 4 BS4 models, take advantage of that and give special weapons.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Abbess Sanctorum

If you want the company command squad to be a static position, give them a heavy weapon team and put them in a chimera. You'll still be able to make use of the squad's BS4, while they stay (relatively) safe behind AV12 front armor (in comparison to being torn apart by cover save ignoring blasts).
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12