BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Post 40k Tactica- Anything goes

Hello again!!! Any of my fans (all 2 of you) will probably have realised that I have been hibernating for the last few months. Well I've had exams and have watched doctor who. Btw any1 seen Kylie Minougues new music vid? She is Slaneshh!!! Anyway my necron tactics page didn't really go as planned but i have started a new one and this is bigeer and better!!!
    As for the rules of this thread:

1.Everyone will be involved. Im going to occasionaly post some tactics but in my inevitable absences it is up to YOU to keep this thread popular and useful.
    2.I will only post what I know so Necron, Space Marine, Eldar, Nid and Ork players rejoice. As for the rest of it is up to YOU to represent them.

Well thats it really. I am not going to post any tactics in this post but once I think of some basic to mazing ones Ill start posting. Until then may you roll 6's a plenty!!!
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Battle-Brother

Default mortars...

I played part of a game for the first time with my 2000 point Vostroyan leg infantry, including a full fifteen mortar teams in support. 8 infantry squads, company command, 3 platoon command, three special weapons squads (one flamer/demo charge squad, one GL/demo charge, one sniper squad), 2 vet squads with 3xmelta.
    Faced off against 1250 points of Khorne Berserkers and 750 points of IG. Khorne brought all legs, with 3 oblits, 5 Chosen, and two big blocks of KBs. No Daemons. They lined up Napoleon style and rushed across the board at me. They set up first and went first.

Got lucky and penetrated the IG's Punisher Russ on my first shooting round with a lascannon. So I can't speak to the effectiveness of the punisher against IG.
    The snipers, with their nerfed to-hit rules, were basically useless. 0 wounds in two rounds of shooting at flak armored troops.
    The mortars were reasonably effective, despite being aimed primarily at the power armor.
    Demo charges worked. I night goblin fanatic'd them out when the Khorneys got close and demo charged each squad, one hit one scattered [killed about 25 points of my troops ], easily made their points back.
    Medic's helped quite a bit, surprisingly.
    The instant kill rules (S7 insta-kill 2 wound heavy weapons teams) sucked up my heavy weapons squads, which sucked.

Oblits can really lay down the pain.

Playing with about 100 models that are all the same you clearly need a visual cue that you can see when looking down on the model to tell them apart. I'll be painting the fur hats for each platoon a different shade and pattern so as to be able to tell the infantry blocks apart when I combine squads.

Gotta write a cheat card for all the command radii, and the orders, and for any leadership modifiers (I had a regimental standard, might have had an effect if I'd been more facile with it's rules).

Way different than rolling to hit and wound with my space marines.

Chaplain

Back again, and so soon. This is what I mean by occasional post. It could be at any time. Anyway this post was inspired by me sneezing. Yes I was just getting up an I sneezed really badly then I caught sight of my nid codex. My mind went back to the battle report of nids .v. marines that bryss and I did and thats when I thought of it.
    So I'm going to talk a little about Librarians here. Now it struck me that the Libbies have great psychic powers and a really great psychic wep that is hardly ever used. Im talking about force weapons people. A really deadly weapon that has a good chance of inflicting instant death if you pass a simple psychic check. And heres what I think the big use is. Monster Hunting. It is simple really, GoI to tele if you have to, go into close combat with a monstrous creature and pwn it. Its probably best to put your libbie in a tough squad to keep him safe. A word of warning though. Nids are probaby the most monstrous creature army in the game. Beware of shadow in the warp effects. This will make passing checks SO much harder!!! But if you do pass just think. Killed a trygon with one hit...
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Space Wolves inflict sadness in APOC game

Drop pop full of rune priests... Jaws of the Worldwold 24 inchs long about 3 inches wide. Can shoot out of a drop pod... instant death for close to 1000 pts of nids, orks, and tau... got hammered next turn though. But still nothing more satisfing then a pod full of units that can make large squares of units disappear. Take about 5 of these in a good sized Apoc game and drop one each turn along with your normally deployed troops. Makes opposing players very unhappy.

Default IG Tag-Team Elements

Probably already been pointed out already, but I divide my 'primary' units in my IG air cav army into three 'tag-team' groups, each consisting of one anti-tank and one anti-infantry asset, allowing a transport to be popped and anything inside to be nailed. Currently:

Melta vets (AT)
    Rocket Valk (AP)

Melta CCS (AT)
    Rocket Valk (AP)

Vendetta (AT)
    4x MRP Vulture (AP)

The Vulture is Imperial Armor, so no major tournies, but my FLGS allows IA in tournies as log as you bring printed rules.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by incenerate101 View Post
    Drop pop full of rune priests... Jaws of the Worldwold 24 inchs long about 3 inches wide. Can shoot out of a drop pod... instant death for close to 1000 pts of nids, orks, and tau... got hammered next turn though. But still nothing more satisfing then a pod full of units that can make large squares of units disappear. Take about 5 of these in a good sized Apoc game and drop one each turn along with your normally deployed troops. Makes opposing players very unhappy.
    You wanna make Jaws REALLY hurt? Put a termie armoured rune priest in a drop pod with Arjac Rockfist. Have arjac do a wound to a creature with his hammer. This renders the creature Initiative 1 (read his entry it says it counts as a thunder hammer; even in the shooting phase) hope he can roll a 1 or 2

Not this again about the flying hammer.
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

Librarian

Armoured Sentinal man-traps

in small games, a single basic armoured sentinal can hold up an enemy squad worth tons more points than its own value.

as a walker enemy can only hit it's front armour in hand to hand, being armour 12, a strength 6 model still needs a 6 to glance.

the more models in the unit, the better the catch. this is particularly effective against massive hordes of tyranids, or IG blob units.

obviously this is a very unfluffy situation (1 lone guardsman encased in a skinny metal machine fighting off thousands of infantry), but it works.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Javin View Post
    Not this again about the flying hammer.
    Yes sir how does it feel to get thunder hammered from a distance?! kidding but no seriously it would hurt... alot