BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

Default All-gun builds (Empire / Dwarves)

So... do you think all-gunner builds are more/less viable in 8th edition? Basically thinking Handgunners/Thunderers with Mortars and Cannons as support, with a hero/lord focusing on leadership and dispelling.

These were the two armies I really wanted to play, more than any other, but really haven't had much of a reason to get into it until now. I know that you can fire two ranks now, so it seems like they got a buff, but I'd like an overall picture.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

I think they become more viable up to a point.

With the larger blocks coming, you can still only hit them with soo many shots before they are on you and cutting your troops down. They are also for the most part move or fire which also limits your manuverability. However they are strong, and decently ranged, which could come into play (I cant recall their stats off the top of my head)

EDIT: I would say go with Empire, they have just that bit more moveability so you can deal with quick threats that much easier
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Abbess Sanctorum

Maybe a few cheap free company detachments to absorb the charge?
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Abbess Sanctorum

Something like this... not quite "all-handgunner", but it should at least be adaptable.

Total: 750 Pts
    Hero:
    Battle Wizard w/2x Dispel Scrolls
    Core:
    Handgunners w/Full HQ
    -- 22 Handgunners
    -- Marksman w/Repeater Handgun
    -- Detatchment: 10 Free Company
    Handgunners w/Full HQ
    -- 21 Handgunners
    -- Marksman w/Repeater Handgun

C = Free Company
    H = Handgunner
    W = Wizard

CCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    CCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHCCCCC
    CCCCCHHHHHWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHCCCCC

Edit: Actually the ones in front should be archers now that I think of it... archers counting as skirmishers and therefor you can shoot through them-- or is that not part of eighth edition?
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-04-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Librarian

Slight flaw in that you can only have 1 scroll (this is an 8th ed list right?)

Perhaps instead of free company, Spearmen for the extra rank of attacks which should beef them up a bit more.

That or perhaps halbierds for str or Swordsmen for the extra ward save
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Hero:
    Battle Wizard w/2x Dispel Scrolls
    Aren't dispel scrolls 0-1 now? I think I read that on warseer.

I hope so. I really hate scroll spam...
    How many have fallen before you? How many have you sent below? How could you ever show pity? Is that a word that you know?

Librarian

I know you like the idea of handguns; but I think crossbows are likely to be a bit better.
    There are a few reasons for this. Mostly it comes down to range (and cost with dwarves); with premeasuring everything a lot of armies will be able to avoid handguns now.

In the newest podcast of Podhammer, the Wood Elf player was able to sit outside the 24" range of the Emipres handguns, fire volley shots with his elven archers, and used his fast cav with increased movement banner to spend a turn to move out of line of fire (as handguns are move or shoot, wheeling didn't help), then charge next move. The handgunners didn't even get off a shot.

I'd try to have some detachments as halbards (strength 4 in two ranks is pretty solid for normal humans); also, if you can move the points around try to make the detachments 15 (right now, if they suffer a single casualty they won't break ranks when flanking).

As to a skirmish unit... it's true line of sight now, so you should be able to see through them (they might give a cover modifier, I don't know).
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Abbess Sanctorum

I imagine it will take some strategy ensuring that you can always fire them, but it's the theme that I like.

I'm not going to start a crossbows army because quite frankly I think crossbows are boring compared to muskets. What's more important to this thread isn't alternatives, but how to make this work in eighth edition. So suggested alterations to my list (like telling me about the 0-1 limitation on dispel scrolls-- thanks guys!) and strategy would be appreciated...
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-04-2010 at 10:50 PM.

I think a static gunline could work really well as long as you cause so much pain with your artillery that you force your opponent to come and deal with you - allowing your handgunners to have their moment of glory.

While personally I'd go with a Dwarvern force, the Empire would give you some more options in terms of Outriders, Pistoliers and maybe even a Steam Tank while keeping the 'Black Powder' theme of the army.
    These more mobile elements should help you to deal with the units that will give your more static line problems.

Volley gun for empire :-)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast