BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Veteran-Sergeant

played in a tournament over the weekend, with my empire army. Since 8th came out been trying new things, one has been to get rid of the handgunners. they may reduce saves better than crossbows but that extra 6" in a whole nuther shooting phase i get , Mortar are great and i stiill love my pistoliers.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Quote Originally Posted by Majorcrash View Post
    played in a tournament over the weekend, with my empire army. Since 8th came out been trying new things, one has been to get rid of the handgunners. they may reduce saves better than crossbows but that extra 6" in a whole nuther shooting phase i get , Mortar are great and i stiill love my pistoliers.
    How did you do in the tournament? How did the pistoliers work our for you?

At 1000 Points, you might as well take 3 mortars, 1 cannon and 2 hellblaster. Coupled with crossbows, handguns, helbards.
    Trust me, they vaporize about anything.
    In our hobby club, we have an ongoing challenge to defeat them with any army in any legal combination. So far, all have failed (4 weeks in a row, 3 to 4 games a week).

Goblins and Dark Elves were closest to beating them.

Might not sound like fun but it actually is, especially watching the empire wasting one army after another.

I play High Elves, Goblins and Tomb Kiings, not the Empire (and plan to engage them with about 5 Giant Eagles).
    Maybe that works.

As well: on larger point allowances this will change as the maximum amount of artillery is reached with just two more cannons (below 3000 Points that is).

1000 points is awfully small, and very advantageous to the cheap empire gunline. I'm very confident of my ability to tailor a list to beat that at 1k, but there isn't anything fun about that, either (ethereal undead, for instance).
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Fun is not a matter of (army-)size. It is fun to play even at such small sizes. It depends on whom you are playing and with what intention.

Brother-Sergeant

How about a large handgun unit with 2 handgun detachments? If they charge your large parent unit you get the parent unit shooting and the 2 smaller units shooting (w/o the -1 for shooting at a charging foe) if they charge at your detachments have the detachment flee (detachments do not cause panic in friendly units,) the bad guy either has to attempt to redirect his charge or he has to have a failed charge and your parent unit shoots him to death.

A static gunline is one storm banner away from getting rolled over.
    Miners, Ethereals, flying units, and cheap knights will all give this a very tough time. The all shooting empire even makes Beastmen look good. Once they get hit, or once a unit gets out of the arch, it's all over.

What does work better, is the detachment gunline in front of the parent units, supported by units that can actually win fights. A mix of swordsmen, great swords, and flagellants as rear units, and crossbows on point works really well.

Unlike a pure gunline, having blocks of infantry in the rear lets you reform and deal with threats that come from the flanks/rear, and have a chance against things that break through the front.

-Matt

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345