BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Scout

Default 'Bring it Down!' Tactic? RAW/RAI question

This is a RAW/RAI, codex vs. da’ rules conundrum I’ve been bouncing around with.
    The culprit is one of the orders in the new guard codex, specifically the ‘Bring it Down!’
    There are no caveats to the rule (as written).
    To familiarize:
    “If the order is successfully issued, choose one enemy vehicle (or squadron of vehicles) or monstrous creature (or unit of monstrous creatures) visible to the officer. The ordered unit immediately shoots at the nominated target , counting their weapons as twin-linked.”
    Imperial Guard Codex page 30
    So thinking through strategies to use with this my thoughts wandered to Heavy Weapons Teams. OK, not so weird but what about HWTs that move into a better position, crest a hill or disembark. If the order is successful I see nothing that says I can’t blaze away with them.
    Now I’ve heard a couple of people say. You can’t move aand fire HWT (or heavy weapons) as it is a basic rule. Well orders seem to be designed to break or suspend basic rules, re: Rapid Fire has been set in stone for a while now and First Rank Fire etc, kicks that one to the curb.
    Another thought I had is that this is not a loophole issue at all but a tactical gift to the guard along with all the other orders.

Give it look and see if you see something I don’t.
    Again, not a loophole, a tactic and I think it’s a RAI.

Veteran-Sergeant

Personally I would assume the they mean the target immediately shoots if possible, it's not what it says, but when you look at first rank second rank, it is adding extra shots, if you can only fire one normally, you get to fire two. It's not the exact same circumstances, and I'm sure it's worded differently, but I don't think this rule is designed to supercede the rules of moving and firing heavy weapons. Even in the face of a gargantuan monstrosity!
    +++The Imperator Contego Indomitable Fortress+++
    +++The 23rd Joint Assault Group+++

Chaplain

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Valdore View Post
    Personally I would assume the they mean the target immediately shoots if possible, it's not what it says, but when you look at first rank second rank, it is adding extra shots, if you can only fire one normally, you get to fire two. It's not the exact same circumstances, and I'm sure it's worded differently, but I don't think this rule is designed to supercede the rules of moving and firing heavy weapons. Even in the face of a gargantuan monstrosity!
    Yes, I go along with valdore's thoughts on this.
    Its designed to give the Heavy Weapon/s the opportunity to shoot twice (etc) at the Target not move into a new position to shoot & the usual moving/ shooting rules apply.
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

I think you are really reaching here, tuffdart. I mean, reaching in the worst possible way. If HWT were meant to fire while under orders, the codex would say they gain the Relentless USR when accepting "Bring It Down" orders. The codex does not mention anything even remotely like that. It would be nice if it did but, it doesn't. It is not a RAI/RAW issue. It is simply wishful thinking on your part.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

I think that the intention is pretty clear (getting TL on you BS3 heavy weapons is a gift in and of itself, I don't think they are promising more into the bargain).

But your interpretation is very interesting, so points for you! If you want to take it to extremes, one could even make the argument that the HW unit doesn't need line of sight. As far as I recall, not having LOS does not translate to an auto miss like being out of range does, it just disallows targetting. The order could overrule that....

Although seriously, you know what it means.

I love GW!

Banned

You could definitely get away with it. He gives the order, they "immediately" shoot. There are all kind of loose and unexplained things like this, but I wouldn't want to play with you if you tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffdart View Post
    This is a RAW/RAI, codex vs. da’ rules conundrum I’ve been bouncing around with.
    The culprit is one of the orders in the new guard codex, specifically the ‘Bring it Down!’
    There are no caveats to the rule (as written).
    To familiarize:
    “If the order is successfully issued, choose one enemy vehicle (or squadron of vehicles) or monstrous creature (or unit of monstrous creatures) visible to the officer. The ordered unit immediately shoots at the nominated target , counting their weapons as twin-linked.”
    Imperial Guard Codex page 30
    So thinking through strategies to use with this my thoughts wandered to Heavy Weapons Teams. OK, not so weird but what about HWTs that move into a better position, crest a hill or disembark. If the order is successful I see nothing that says I can’t blaze away with them.
    Now I’ve heard a couple of people say. You can’t move aand fire HWT (or heavy weapons) as it is a basic rule. Well orders seem to be designed to break or suspend basic rules, re: Rapid Fire has been set in stone for a while now and First Rank Fire etc, kicks that one to the curb.
    Another thought I had is that this is not a loophole issue at all but a tactical gift to the guard along with all the other orders.

Give it look and see if you see something I don’t.
    Again, not a loophole, a tactic and I think it’s a RAI.

HAHA you can fire lasguns 48". it states no-where the unit fires normally, but that they "immediately shoot the nominated target, counting their weapons as twin-linked" haha
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Chapter-Master

If a heavy weapon model moves, it cannot fire.

Nothing in "Bring it down' changes this in any stretch of the imagination.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree unless the order gives them the relentless special rule, you can not fire a heavy weapon if you moved. There is no loop holes around this one. I wouldnt let a LG player move his heavy weapons team issue the order and fire.

You're skipping a step.

"Immediately shoots" merely means that they initialize a shooting attack, not that they immediately roll. This means they go through the steps of shooting (including determining whether or not the unit can fire to begin with).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast