BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default I'd Like to See Some Tourneys Where Only Painted Armies Are Allowed

I've been playing for a few years now. I came in near the end of 4th edition. I remember showing up at my first Rogue Trader tournament and being surprised to see unpainted armies... I'd got the impression (mostly from White Dwarf and perhaps the 4th edition rulebook) that three colors and basing were de rigueur for such events. I remember being a bit disappointed.

Here's the thing: I'm a bit of a painting snob, albeit a gentle one. I personally just like painted armies better! In the time I've been playing I've yet to see a tourney where the only folks allowed to play were those with at least three colors and basing. I've heard about said tourneys from my friends who have been playing longer so I know they've happened.

I'm going to state the obvious: we all take different things from this hobby. There are folks who only want to play the uber-competetive games, there are folks who are really into the fluff, there a people who love making terrain... etc... etc...

I feel that there are LOADS of tourneys out there that cater to folks who don't give a whit about painting and I find that to be well and good... GW's 'Ard Boyz and Privateer's Steamroller tourneys spring instantly to mind. My suggestion is a simple one: we need a tourney now and then that caters to folks like me.

Before anyone gets outraged (and I am aware how fast that happens on the interwebz) let me point out that what I am proposing wouldn't take anything away from the folks who don't care about this aspect of the hobby that I dig... there will always be PLENTY of tourneys where you can show up with a case full of grey plastic. If you just don't want to/have time/are offended by having a painted army just keep on walking past this hypothetical tourney I am suggesting. Cheerfully let those of us who are really into this aspect of our hobby have this one tourney.

Now, I am not telling ANYONE how they should enjoy our hobby. I am not some kind of fascist handing down dictums about what is right and wrong. I'm just suggesting that those of us on the pro-painting side of the equation should also be able to peaceably indulge ourselves in this aspect of the hobby from time to time also...

Cheers, Copeland

PS I stated some of my views on this in a related thread. I said Some of us on the pro-painting side don't see this as a debate: rather we just soldier on, preferring painted armies over unpainted armies. Personally, I have more respect for folks who paint their armies and I have more fun playing against painted armies... However, I mostly keep that to myself. Sometimes I'll pass on a game versus an unpainted army (especially if I can get in a game with a painted one instead) but I'd never make an issue of it with the owner of the unpainted army... I'd certainly never tell them WHY I wasn't playing them.... I'd just move on graciously...

Some of us live by the idea of "playing with painted minis as much as possible". I play with unpainted minis from time to time... I certainly prefer painted armies.... I won't make an issue of folks not seeing things my way: I just carry on...

So paint your minis... Don't paint your minis... Whatever... I'll continue to think better of those that take the time to paint but there is no harm in that... Most of the folks in my circle take the time to paint their stuff. I shan't enforce my beliefs on anyone else but I'm human enough to know what pleases me more... And painted minis please me more. Obviously, we all bring different desires to this hobby. Please don't imply that liking painted minis more and admiring folks who paint their minis more is out of bounds.

Good gaming to all... Cheers...

I agree with what you said here. If there is a Tournement that is painted only, then a person who dosn't have a painted army has no right being there. I would be assuming it would be clearly stated you need a fully painted and based army to play. Nothing wrong with this.

I actually thought, most tournies were fully painted or can't play rules, and WYSIWYG. I am surprised to read that there are alot of tournies that minis do not have to be painted.

If you are going to a tourney then you have to abide by the rules there. You fallow what FAQ they tell you to use. One tourney I went to said you had to fallow the INAT even thought it was just at a persons house.

So if they say painted minis then it has to be painted minis. You don't show up with unpainted minis then. If you want to participate in that tourney, then abide by the rules.

You want to play in a tourney with unpainted minis, then you have to find a tourney that will allow it.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

how does an unpainted army affect the game at all?

personally, that's an absurd rule; only allowing painted models on the table.

it doesn't take away from the game at all.

if you want painted armies, go to a concourse event. otherwise, quit your whining and play.

First-Captain

Actually, every tournement I've been in, save for WM nationals, has required painted mini's. I know that 'Ard Boyz does not, but then, it's a different kind of game altogether.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post

if you want painted armies, go to a concourse event. otherwise, quit your whining and play.
    It's an absurd rule TOO YOU. Perhaps it affects HIS enjoyment of said game. It is much harder to really "get into" the game (i.e. play the game out like a movie in your head) with unpainted minis vs. painted minis. If he did what you suggested, he may enjoy the game less, and isn't that contrary to the point of playing in the first place? If he doesn't want to play against unpainted armies and gets less games in, then that's his decision, not yours. Maybe he likes a different part of the game than you, and is that wrong? By your post, it is, which is just wrong.

These are just ideas of his for more tournies that require painted minis (most locally already require such things, maybe it's just his area), he has stated what he does in pick-up games, but perhaps you didn't read that far.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Librarian

Today I am simply going to play with bases and proxies. LOS is just a guess anyway, at least I have the correct footprint for my models in assault. This here in fact isn't a rhino, its a predator, and that rhino there... well see that's my whirlwind or my vindicator - I can't really remember. What you're mad? It doesn't ruin my experience of the game at least.

*This has happened to me before, when me and my buddies tried picking up Lord of the Rings.

I'm 100% percent in line with the paint snob . My major attraction to 40k is the overall visual effect of the game, from the detail of the models, the painting, and the scenery. I can't paint for beans, and I went the easy way of having somebody paint my models, but I'd never show up with plastic and pewter.

How does it take away A LOT this is a Hobby and half the bobby is painting and assembling your mini's. If I got to a event I HATE playing Grey or Primed armies what a waste of my time you made no attempt.

'Ard boyz is the place for that but it does take away cause it shows a lack of effort

sadly I agree with you that armies should be painted and flocked. Now do these armies need to be pro painted? No I don't think they should and that should be up to the player on how well they should be painted. Now that I have stated where I stand here is the issue at hand that I have encountered several times over that last 2 yrs. Almost every tourney I have gone to except one story has required your armies be fully painted to play in them or you don't play at all. The problem with this has been 20-40 dudes/gals have showed up and maybe if lucky 25% of them have fully painted armies. In these cases the TO has allowed them to play without enforcing this rule for the mere fact only 6 ppl might be able to play with the exception of this one store. Every time I set foot in this guy's store to play in a tourney you better believe every army is at the mini painted. Only problem for me is this store is 2 hrs away and hard for me to get to. Sad to say I truely agree with ya, but if no one enforces this rule whats the point.

Veteran-Sergeant

I love to play a game where all the models are painted on both sides. Having said that Copeland and I play against each other regularly, his armies are painted to table top and beyond, mine are lucky to have primer on them most of the time. To quote a friend " I love to have painted but I hate to paint." It's something I'm working on but progress is slow. I love to play the game with friends and have fun, I enjoy playing in tournaments for the competitve side of my nature. I enjoy customizing and kit bashing my army to give it a unique look. I enjoy bringing new people into the hobby and having fun. All that said when I have the time an the inclination I try to paint.
    Last edited by plasticaddict; 07-04-2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Default if unpainted is okay, why stop there?

If you aren't even going to paint the models, then why even take them out of the box?

Yeah, just buy the box, and push that around the table. It has pretty pictures on the outside... a defiler comes in a defiler box, a land raider in a land raider box, etc. You can just push blister packs and boxes around the table.

I'm on the pro-painting side. It's part of the overall hobby. If you don't paint them, then why even buy or build them?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast