BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Librarian

I dunno I never much had a problem with Melissia.

Of course, I hail from the land of the Current Events board of gamefaqs, the capital city of trolls and fools. I've seen true trolls, and naught on BoLS is a true troll.

Also contrary to popular belief trolls are immune to fire and flame.

I spend a fair chunk of time trawling Warseer and some of the other forums for rumours. BolS is the epitomy of civilised discourse in comparison, believe me. No trolls, just some very opinionated people, which is fine.
    I'm all for fully painted armies in tournaments, but I can see why Melissia thinks it will attract a nasty sort. There are an awful lot of people out there who use the quality of their paintjobs to make other players feel bad. We ban that sort from our group but you can't do that with a tournament. Unless it was invitation only.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

It's sad to see a thread about having a painted only tounament turned into a parse the phrase fest. I will say that Chris is a friend of mine and someone that I disagree with over many, many things. However one thing I have never been able to accuse him of is taking people statements out of context. Melissa you and I have both agreed and disagreed over many things on this very forum and I must say your first post was inflammatory, mildly offensive and worded to incite a negative response. You are correct in your statement that both English and you ability to use it are inperfect, however you choice of words (douchebag, prick) set the tone of your statement.

All that said I, a person firmly on the "I hate painting side of the hobby", wouldn't mind playing in a three color painted and based only tournamnet. Painting required does not mean painting score. I have participated in tournamnets and escalation leagues that encouraged painting by having seperate prize support for painting in addition to best general.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Abbess Sanctorum

If people think THIS place is full of trolls, they should try Dakka-Dakka or RelicNews...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chapter-Master

Just assuming that a tournament where painting is required would be full of elitists pricks and douche bags is such a childish and ignorant concept that it blows my mind. There is no way that that statement can even be construed into an adult conversation at all.

From the mid 90's until now, the majority of GW GTs have had painting requirements, and the people you find at those tournaments are top shelf people, bar none. Yeah, you'll find one tool that chipmunks you, but that is rare indeed.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Just assuming that a tournament where painting is required would be full of elitists pricks and douche bags is such a childish and ignorant concept that it blows my mind. There is no way that that statement can even be construed into an adult conversation at all.

From the mid 90's until now, the majority of GW GTs have had painting requirements, and the people you find at those tournaments are top shelf people, bar none.
    Ah, now I remember why I ignored you. Willfully misreading posts even long after the post has been explained. Back on the list you go...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitzBarn View Post
    Melissa,

You have always seemed to start flame wars on this forum. I have seen many an civil discussion go down hill once you post. I know this might be harsh to say but you need to chill. Your post in my opinion are argumentative and incendiary a lot of the time. This was a civic discussion until your douchebag comment from 6 pages ago.

Painting is part of the hobby PERIOD. I do not care if you paint as good as me as long as you put an effort forward. When I know a player can do better and I have the proper relationship and they show at an event, I will rib them for it, but only when I know the person. Painting should count in event but only the most rudimentary scores such as; did you paint them, or are they based. I am sorry if a couple people have pissed you off but get over it.

You do not know Chris Copeland so show him respect and assume he is the person he stated in the beginning.

Have a Great Week.

Robert
    Arguing rules is part of the hobby but I can never seem to get anyone into my organized rules debates. Maybe I'll add rules debating as a soft score!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    There is no difference, except that I'm starting to see more of the former now than the latter.
    Yes, but if your goal is to avoid seeing any of these people, why bother going to tournaments where you have no control over who you play? Just play with people you know.

Abbess Sanctorum

That's what I do most of the time.

Where did this concept of "three color" paint jobs start? Paint a figure until it's finished. There's no 'standard'....just do it. Everybody know when you put work into the army.

And it's never about quality - the first miniatures I ever painted look like crap to me now - but it's how I started and when I see somebody who painted their first army I am VERY impressed.

The problem with unpainted armies isn't the new guys - it's the players who go on for years never painting their figures.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast