BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Warhammer 40k Chess: Who Vs Who?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have the idea, but I think I'm going to put together a chess set using 40k models for the figures. I'm trying to decide how best to go about it with the pairing.

The first thing that comes to mind is Heresy Era, Emperor and Friends Vs Horus and Jerks, but it seems.. I don't know.. too obvious?

Maybe Eldar vs Dark Eldar? Orks vs... Orks? Anyone have any ball-flatteningly awesome suggestions?
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

Default Necrons

Model on Army themes.

Necrons would be good...

King - Nightbringer
    Queen - Deceiver
    Bishop - Pariah
    Knight - Wraith
    Castle - Destroyer
    Pawns - Warriors

Chapter-Master

Important thing about a chess game is that all the pieces be recognisably different, and in my opinion the same on both sides. So loyalist vs traitor, or codex marines vs CSM works best.

Standard marines (or CSM) as pawns, commander (or chaos sorceror) as king, terminators as rooks (castles), assault marines (or havocs) as bishops, Veterans (and the chaos "equivilent") as knights and chapter master (or chaos lord)(or named independant characters) as the queen. Although the king should be rated higher than a queen, the queen is the best unit on the "table"

Eldar vs Dark eldar would work as well, as theres plenty of varience between models

Orks vs Orks would be difficult i think as theirs not as wider range to chose models from
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

The Imperium v the Chaos clearly

Guardsmen and Traitors for Pawns, with various Marines and Chaos Marine classes, and perhaps Epic scale tanks for the other pieces.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

I literally started this last week as a birthday present for my dad (which, thankfully, is in September). I am doing Imperium vs. Chaos as, like someone has already pointed out, Chess is about recognisable pieces which are opposite to one another (in regular chess; colour).

My Imperial forces will have a predominantly white scheme while Chaos will be black.

Pawn - Guardsman/Renegade
    Rook - Terminator
    Knight - Champion
    Bishop - Chaplain/Apostle
    King - Chapter Master/Chaos Lord
    Queen - Canoness/Masque Daemonette

I am undecided whether to have simply daemons for pawns or stick with renegade militia. Hopefully some of my ideas can be used by you.

Veteran-Sergeant

Weird... I just set up my chess board with models I already have. It is Orks vs CSM.

The main thing with chess is that you don't need to opposing sides to be all that different. You just need good color contrast. What is more important is making the models distinguishable from the other pieces.

So here is what I have just based on the models I used.

King = Terminator Lord / Big Mek
    Queen = Jump Pack Lord / Nob Biker
    Rook = Oblit / Lootaz
    Bishop = Melta CSM / Boy w/Big Shoota
    Knight = Terminator / Nob w/Power Claw
    Pawn = Berzerkers / Boyz

Based on chess fluff I would try to make your unit match what the piece does. Orks vs Death Company would be extremely cool. Jump Packs for knights. Chaplain as Bishop. Mephiston/Astaroth as King/Queen. Devastators as Rooks (or Dreads if your board is big enough!!).

Anyway, maybe now I have an excuse to build/paint some cool Death Company.

Tyranids MUST be represented!

Tyrant Guard would make good rooks...
    Lichtors as knights
    Zoanthropes as Bishops
    A Hive Tyrant as a Queen and a Carnifex as a King
    Make pawns out of Genestealers

Of course, yer gonna need a board with BIG squares...

Quote Originally Posted by infilTRAITOR View Post
    I literally started this last week as a birthday present for my dad (which, thankfully, is in September). I am doing Imperium vs. Chaos as, like someone has already pointed out, Chess is about recognisable pieces which are opposite to one another (in regular chess; colour).

My Imperial forces will have a predominantly white scheme while Chaos will be black.

Rook - Terminator
    Knight - Champion

I am undecided whether to have simply daemons for pawns or stick with renegade militia. Hopefully some of my ideas can be used by you.

I really like this layout. Though the one thing I would change if I was making a chess set, is I would use a Chapter Master with maybe a jump pack as queen, and instead use a Standard Bearer as the King. Since then its kinda like capture the flag.

Chaplain

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by infilTRAITOR View Post

Rook - Terminator
    Knight - Champion

I agree with this one. Very stylish and the B/W Theme is hit.
    Peace through superior Firepower!

My vote on the good guy/bad guy idea...Grey Knights and Daemons
    Commission painting & minis currently 4 sale: www.redstickstudio.weebly.com Our Studio Blog: www.redstickstudio.wordpress.com