BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm going to stop arguing this. It was fun until exlorn brought us back to 2 pages ago. I have a feeling that once we come full circle to the END point, someone else will need more explaining.
    Last edited by GrandmasterRay; 08-14-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Chaplain

A Scout move is just that... a Scout move. This happens outside of normal game play before the 1st turn begins and therefore any added benefits will be null once actual game play starts. Just because a Scout move can be done like a normal move is irrelevant.
    Last edited by oni; 08-14-2009 at 11:17 AM.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

I think I've come to the conclusion that there is no textual answer to this problem. Dingareth had me until I checked the actual movement rules, which also say "move up to X inches in the Movement phase." The wording for infantry (page 11), jump infantry (page 52), bikes (page 53), and turbo-boosters (page 76) is all worded the same. Using Dingareth's logic, therefore, it seems to me that nobody can move in the Scout move, as all of the "normal move" rules specify "in the Movement phase."

I agree with everybody about what the common-sense/real-world/GW FAQ answer is. But it seems to me that we may have found a situation where there is no textual way to get there. C'est la GW.

Veteran-Sergeant

Alright! Possibly dead horse coming in!

Just looking briefly over the paragraph for scout move, it states the scout may make a normal move. So, would a turbo boost be a normal move in this case?

I know at this point it is more devil's advocate (and I do not use models that turbo boost, much less scout, so I have no personal gain in this). But, I find this is an interested discussion, considering the elements of RAW and RAI...

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    I know at this point it is more devil's advocate (and I do not use models that turbo boost, much less scout, so I have no personal gain in this). But, I find this is an interested discussion, considering the elements of RAW and RAI...
    Just so long as we don't get flamed for having a bit of word-geek fun then

I see the argument that turbo-boosting isn't a "normal" move (i.e., that it's a universal special rule, so it must be a special move), so I'll argue the side that it is.

As I said in a previous post, if you check the wording on pages 11, 52, 53, and 76, you'll see they all use the same construction, and all specify "the Movement phase." The fact that the turbo-boost move uses the same construction as the "normal" move rules for unit types is probative of its normalcy.

What then, one might ask, is a non-normal move? I don't have a really convincing textual answer, but "movement" that happens outside of the Movement phase comes to mind as a possible candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post
    Actually, I disagree with y'all. You wouldn't get the Cover Save. My reasoning is the second sentence in the rule, "may move up to 24" in the Movement phase." Is a Scout Move done in the Movement phase? No. If you were to Turbo-Boost and then Turbo Boost again in the Movement phase, for a total of 48", than yes I agree you would. But as a Scout Move is not done in the Movement phase, you have not fufiled the crietria in order to get the save in the following Shooting phase.
    So your argument is that if you Turbo-boost in the Scout move you cannot claim the cover save because you do not fill the criteria for having Turbo-boosted? Are these bikes like Schrodinger's cat, but instead of simultaneously being alive and dead they are simultaneously going fast and not going fast?
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

Brother-Captain

The RAW is a bit iffy . . . but I've only ever seen this played one way in the real world.

If you turboboost during a scout move, you get a cover save during the turn which immediately follows (ex: the top of round 1). You don't get a save during the bottom of round 1 unless you turboboosted during the top of round 1.

Does anyone else play it differently?

Battle-Brother

No one at a tourney will let you use turbo boosting this way.

@ Lerra - Agreed, sir.

Brother-Captain

Really . . . Every tournament I've been to has allowed this. Odd.

Not that it matters to me. My codex specifically states that my bikes can't turboboost during scout (Dark Angels), but I'll have to disallow it for other armies from now on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123