BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Flip Belts and Vertical Movement?

I have been watching several games played both local and in battle reps where Harlequins have danced around the battle field jumping up to the highest towers and back down again without any penalty. I though this ability had to do with the flip belts but upon further inspection the rules seem not to support this style of play. So have we all been playing this wrong? Can anyone clarify.

Flip Belts allow you to ignore being slowed by difficult terrain but does that mean you also can ignore the Vertical Movement rules?

Chaplain

I think it allows you to ignore the rules for falling, but that's it:

"A fighter with a flip belt treats all terrain as open ground
    for the purposes of movement, but can’t end its move on
    impassable terrain. In addition, a fighter with a flip belt
    never suffers falling damage."

Basically they can move their full movement but have to abide by vertical movement rules on the way up. I have seen far to many batreps that have been doing this wrong then. Thanks for the reply.

Chaplain

You know, I think I may have steered you wrong. For some reason I assumed you were talking about Shadow War: Armageddon - that's where the flip belt rule above came from.

Chaplain

From my Death Masque book, A model with a Flip Belt is not slowed by difficult terrain and does not suffer the penalty to its Initiative for Charging through difficult terrain. In addition, a character with a flip belt always passes a Look Out Sir roll on a 2+.

Now in 7th Ed this would mean that a unit could move and run, one supposes up to 12" if you are lucky. But a flip belt would not grant you full "Movement" up a vertical face if the height was more than 6". You would have to mark them as reaching a specific point and I would imagine that this applied on the decent.

I also note that Harlequins don't have Battle Focus so if they did run to make the additional height, they could not assault or shoot on arrival at their destination. Don't know how this works in 8th Ed though.