BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Evil Midnight Bomber

Default So, what brushes do you use?

Brush choice is very much a personal thing. When I first started out I didn't think that much of it -- I honestly thought those cheap-*** brushes you got at Michael's or Hobby Lobby were great.

Experience is a cruel but efficient teacher I suppose.

So nowadays my brush of choice for pretty much everything is a venerable Winsor & Newton Series 7 Size 0. It's such a versatile brush, good for covering (small-sized, admittedly) area and for detail work (down to painting in the creases between power armor plates). I wish I'd listened to the advice I was given oh so long ago and gotten one of them first...but I don't think I would appreciate it nearly as much as I do now if I had.

What about you guys? What brush(es) do you use? Have a favorite?

The Alchemist

Honestly, the last brush I used for 40k was a 79 cent, 2" wide brush from Home Despot.
    Granted, it was only used to drybrush some large terrain pieces.

Games Workshop 'Standard' Brush all the way baby.
    Small drybrush for basecoating and...well, drybrushing.
    For basecoating tanks, I now use the GW Tank Brush.

I've been very impressed by the quality of GW brushes, even if they do cost that bit more.
    The Standard Brush is great for detail too, because it keeps its point and isn't as flimsey as the thin bristled Detail Brush.

I'll never use the GW Detail Brush ever again.

Veteran-Sergeant

I've been using GW brushes for years. I just picked up some of the new Citadel brushes (black handles, colour coded ends) and I have to say they are quite nice.
    I've tried the Windsor Newton Series 7's but for their price I didn't find them all that impressive.

For the most part I use Standard brushes (1's) and 00's for details. I also have a 10/0 I use for eyeballs.

Dosadi

I've got a set of the new GW brushes, and they're pretty good for the price.

I want some Series 7's, but some combination of brush priming with gesso and general incompetence at brush care has me going through brushes very quickly, and I don't want to ruin a nice, expensive brush.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by Dosadi View Post
    I've been using GW brushes for years. I just picked up some of the new Citadel brushes (black handles, colour coded ends) and I have to say they are quite nice.
    I've tried the Windsor Newton Series 7's but for their price I didn't find them all that impressive.

For the most part I use Standard brushes (1's) and 00's for details. I also have a 10/0 I use for eyeballs.

Dosadi
    Interesting, you're the first person I've heard say something like that. What material are the Citadel brushes made from? I'll admit to being a bit spoiled by the Kolinsky sable.
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

Citadel standard brush for base coats, fine detail for everything else. Occasionally I use a small drybrush if I'm using that technique

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherJoe View Post
    What material are the Citadel brushes made from? I'll admit to being a bit spoiled by the Kolinsky sable.
    All but the drybrush and stippling brushes are Kolinsky sable. I think the stippling brush is nylon. It is pretty coarse, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by RealGenius; 07-27-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Veteran-Sergeant

The new Citadel brushes feel like WN Series 7 to me. I also like the slightly larger handles. Will they last as long? I don't know yet as I only bought them last week. Als I had to test out a few before I found ones that retained their shape (tip). Lucky for me the dudes at my local GW let me fiddle with their brushes before I bought them. The other nice thing is that they went down in price (something rare for GW); at least they did in Canada.

Dosadi

Evil Midnight Bomber

Coolness, I'll check them out. I'm not really in the market for new brushes, mind you, but I don't think there's anything wrong with at least giving them a once-over. Plus, I don't think you can ever have too many brushes...
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast