BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dosadi View Post
    The other nice thing is that they went down in price (something rare for GW); at least they did in Canada.
    That was just Canada

Has anyone tried the Rosemary & Co brushes? I've read a few positive forum posts about them, and the[URL="http://www.coolminiornot.com/store/section.php?xSec=115"] price is pretty decent[/URL], but not had any first-hand experience.

Evil Midnight Bomber

What I would really like to find are good brushes to use for drybrushing. Yeah, I know, "good brushes" and "drybrushing" don't belong in the same sentence normally but what I mean are brushes that stand up or are purpose-built for drybrushing.

I tried the GW "small drybrush" and after one drybrushing session -- painting the ridges on the "flexible parts" of marine power armor (you know -- behind the knees, elbows, etc.) the bristles were bent and frayed to the point of being less than useful for the task they were supposedly created for. Needless to say, I haven't replaced it or "moved up" to the bigger version. For the time being I'm just using those craptacular "American Painter" brushes you can get at Michael's/Hobby Lobby for like $5.00 a pop. They tend to last a bit longer...but don't give the most spectacular results and when they go bad, they go from "useful" to "utterly useless" usually in the -middle- of a drybrushing session. It's frustrating, to say the least.
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

I eventually started using the Raphael Brushes and now find it hard to use anything else. They are a little hard to find but can be found online for a good price. They hold paint and spread paint on minis better than anything I have ever used and I have tried them all.

I got some winsor newton series 7 brushes a couple months ago, a week later i threw every GW brush i had in the toilet and havent looked back. If you think they are too expensive go to cheapjoes.com and compare the prices to GW brushes. I have not used any of the new GW brushes so i cant speak for those but i cant imagine them bieng better then series 7. 2 months later every brush still holds a fine point. Ive never had a GW brush that kept its point past 5 uses and ive gone through my fair share.

Brother-Sergeant

I'm a WN series 7 fan as well. I invested in a full kit two years back and I use the #1 for most jobs. I've found it to have a better, more controllable point than a GW fine detail, not to mention paint flow.

I also bought some brush soap and started storing my brushes sideways in a cheap little tin brush box (the kind with springs for holders). Guy at the art store said upright lets moisture seep into the (name escapes me, the metal area). Anyway, in two years I haven't replaced one brush and the points are still superb. Money well spent.

I use pretty much Raphael 8404's or Windsor and Newton #7's

Expensive yes, but you can't beat the quality for the brush and treated right they last a very long time. I am interested in giving the new GW brushes a try especially some of the flat dry brushes.

Chaplain

I like the GW brushes. Maybe it is the way you are using em. Are you poking your drybrush into the model? I find that will ruin a brush very quickly. Smooth long strokes is the way to go. I actually drybrush the joint areas of SM just after priming...that way i can correct the edges as I basecoat.

oops...this was supposed to be directed at crusher joe
    Last edited by fade_74; 07-31-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: wrong place

Battle-Brother

Count me in the W&N Series 7 crowd, but my goto size is the #2. It still comes to that razor sharp point, but the larger barrel holds more and provides less of an opportunity to get paint close to the ferrule. After nearly 3 years of constant use, it's still in perfect shape. I bought a spare last year just in case anything ever happened to it, but with just some basic care I fear that first #2 stands a good chance of outliving me.

Veteran-Sergeant

Im waiting on the new GW brushes to arrive and i will be using those... Hopefully they are good

I hear good things about the WN brushes... i would use either the new GW or WN brushes and nothing else

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast