BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Well ignore what people have told you, I'll tell you what I actually know for a fact. I have played 40K since 1990 (Rogue Trader), 2nd edition was my 'expansion edition' where I got into the game, and I've played Necromunda and SWA.

Necromunda is 2Ed 40K with a few extra details for casualties, pinning, beefed up rules. SWA is a near carbon copy of Necromunda rules with the exception that the factions are different and the missions/campaigns are different.

8th is shaping up to be so different from anything we have seen before and whilst there are 2ed-esque elements it cant really be said to be based on.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

GW is turning 8th Edition 40K into

Age of Sigmar 40K

Which is not good.

Chapter-Master

Any particular reason why - my group seems delighted with the cutting out of rules bloat. I reserve judgement until it arrives but there is a lot of people seemingly unimpressed - Eldar players per chance?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    a lot of people seemingly unimpressed - Eldar players per chance?
    I don't see why that should be related to Eldar-players (is someone hating Eldar-player by chance?). After all, it doesn't really matter how core rules work - like at all. It comes down to how much points the units cost and what abilities they have. Eldar could turn out to be either total crap or to still be insanely overpowered. Nobody can tell yet, not even Eldar-players.
    If anything, players of melee-centric armies might still not be fully happy with the core rules, since melee-units from my point of view will need some buff on their warscrolls or get cheaper.
    Last edited by Hendarion; 05-04-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Visit my gallery: http://www.game-coding.de/minis

Well for many Eldar players they just might be able to dust off miniatures/units that have been sitting in cases due to sucking for over 15+ years.

But you are right when it comes down to point costs.

Imperial Guard are dirt cheap point wise but they are cannon fodder. Guardians cost more and come with the worst Infantry Weapon in the game (right now). Now they are not ever going to get their 24 inch range back or the ability to use Las Guns. But they do look to be getting 4 additional inches so will have a range of 16 inches. Do not know about the Dire Avengers if they will lose 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    GW is turning 8th Edition 40K into

Age of Sigmar 40K

Which is not good.
    Too early to make that claim. I enjoy AoS but do feel they destroyed much of what people loved in the game, not to mention destruction of its lore. I have also played 40k since 90 and can say an overhaul is a good thing. As much as I hated seeing the movement attribute go away moving into 3rd ed I was happy to see Int, Cl and Wp go, not to mention the elaborate polyhedral nightmare that was armor pen at that time. The new streamlined rules didn't lessen the tactical options and freed up time and ambiguity. Maybe a little bitter about the nerfing of my Harliquins.

Not saying that this edition will answer all prayers or even be good; just saying it's folly to take 5% knowledge and make a 100% claim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12