BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Flying Polyps in 40k..

Ok, I REALLY want to do a small army of Flying Polyps for warhammer 40,000. There's a few problems with this however. 1) I have NO idea what rules they could use and 2) They would really only have the one unit.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, Flying Polyps are my all-time favourite alien race - and they are from HP Lovecraft's story "Shadow Out Of Time". Basicly, I think 40k absolutely -needs- some flying polyps in it.

Luckily, for me you RAFM sell Flying Polyps in their CoC range : [url]http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=50082[/url]

Heres a few some people have done that caught my eye :
    [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwindels/3455353844/[/url]
    [url]http://tentakel.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/flying-polyp-as-a-daemon-prince/[/url]

I guess my idea would be to buy a dozen of them. They are rather large and would dwarf a space marine terminator, easily. Powerwise, they can control the winds around them and use it as a weapon. They can also phase in and out. They are portrayed as very powerful. So, as you can see I have NO idea what rules I could use for them. I guess im open to unofficial rules, I just want them to be fluffy and playable really. I dont want them to be over-powered or cheesey. I only play friendly games with my mates and have no interest in tournies or playing in clubs or shops.

I will also likely convert them all with GW chaos and tyranid parts to individualise them. This is mainly for a campain my gaming group are planning where imperial forces land on an ancient world and discover the polyps that still live in the cave-systems below the surface.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chaplain

Okaaaay, dont mean to stomp on your thought out idea, but its not even legal to Warhammer 40k.
    If you want to play a flying army then id just got Tyranids with gargoyle and winged everything else in that army OR build an army around Eldar with lots of Swooping hawks.

As right now i doubt anyone would allow you to write rules for them and play against them. We play 40k for what it is, not so we can just invent new armies though i wish sometimes we could, as some GW really needs an overhall.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Chapter-Master

Well, not my gaming group. We have people who use homebrewn codices to play their Squats, lost and the damned ,genestealer cults and all kinds of stuff, it's more about playing a narrative war story than a competitive sport. We believe 40k is what we want it to be, not what a corporation tells us it has to be, and since we paid alot of money and put alot of time into collecting, modelling, painting ect I dont see what right anyone has to tell us how to play with our toy-soldiers in our dank gloomy basement. :/
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Actually, thats exactly what the corporation says its should be, thats why all the competitive gamers are always having hissy fits about GW not doing enough to make 40k better for tournament play. Why not make your own race, there must be plenty more xenos out there. You aren't altering the fluff/character of an existing army* so I say go for it.
    The one unit thing is a problem. Perhaps Tau poly allies or Tyranid polyps or something?

*Which is a no-no in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Well, not my gaming group. We have people who use homebrewn codices to play their Squats, lost and the damned ,genestealer cults and all kinds of stuff, it's more about playing a narrative war story than a competitive sport. We believe 40k is what we want it to be, not what a corporation tells us it has to be, and since we paid alot of money and put alot of time into collecting, modelling, painting ect I dont see what right anyone has to tell us how to play with our toy-soldiers in our dank gloomy basement. :/
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Yep, some people use the rules and add their own background.

Others see the rules+background as some kind of sacrosanct word-of-grud type of thing.

Ne'er the twain shall meet.

I just play 40kays as a beer and pretzels game (and throw peanut shells at the fantasy players).

Chapter-Master

Maybe play them as some kind of chaos spawn? Or yeah write your own for them.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Maybe the rules for a blight drone will work?

Librarian

The first thing that jumped into my mind ruleswise, was Necron Wraiths.
    The whole background of wraiths is them floating around the battlefield, phasing in and out of reality.

You could start there, and change things as needed/wanted.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Rosette Soulknyt View Post
    Okaaaay, dont mean to stomp on your thought out idea, but its not even legal to Warhammer 40k.
    If you want to play a flying army then id just got Tyranids with gargoyle and winged everything else in that army OR build an army around Eldar with lots of Swooping hawks.

As right now i doubt anyone would allow you to write rules for them and play against them. We play 40k for what it is, not so we can just invent new armies though i wish sometimes we could, as some GW really needs an overhall.
    Eldargal has it right. GW has, in many public comments, stated that they encourage the development of new units/armies/races. If they didn't, they never would have released the datesheets with Apoc. and openly encouraged you within the book to use them to build new weapons.

Things are only "not legal" in a tournament sense. I love when people bring new races into the game. I think it's a great idea, and it sounds like your buddies do too.

Librarian

I'd play against some Polyps... the army'd look awesome!

Maybe some form of Daemon army? With controlling the wind/popping out of underground tunnels, I could see deep strike making sense. Phasing in and out makes the invulnerable work.

I'm thinking mostly tzeentchian stuff... Horrors would make sense (controlling the Wind as a weapon sounds like a shooting attack), maybe throw in some flamers for variety. HQ Herald, just a slightly different polyp, same shooting attacks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast