BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default 8th Edition Keyword Query

A Tech-Priest Dominus had the ability:

"you can re-roll any hit rolls of 1 in the shooting phase for friendly <Forge World> units within 6"."

my query is this would this include himself (as he also has the <Forge World> keyword)?

I have also seen similar abilities around the web, for other characters as well.

Chaplain

Actually that question has a broader implication than you may have intended. Which is how do Forge World rules intermesh/interact with the 8th Ed? We know that with the official start of 8th Ed all prior 40K literature is moot. Codices and rule books have no impact on the new rules. So are Forge World rules so neutered?

In the mean time, with regards to your question and your specific unit. I would say that the re-roll depends on whether or not it is automatically confered or he is generating some Psychic power. As it appears to be an automatic ability logic would suggest (Heretical ground I know), that the Priest benefits from his own ability. Would have been different if he was casting a psychic power at a specific target.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    Actually that question has a broader implication than you may have intended. Which is how do Forge World rules intermesh/interact with the 8th Ed? We know that with the official start of 8th Ed all prior 40K literature is moot. Codices and rule books have no impact on the new rules. So are Forge World rules so neutered?
    Yes, all Forge World rules are also invalid. They're releasing a similar points and rules index as the four GW has put out for their models, at which point they'll be valid again. I'm not sure when that will be other than 'very soon'.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gold View Post
    A Tech-Priest Dominus had the ability:

"you can re-roll any hit rolls of 1 in the shooting phase for friendly <Forge World> units within 6"."

my query is this would this include himself (as he also has the <Forge World> keyword)?

I have also seen similar abilities around the web, for other characters as well.
    In the 8th ed. rulebook under "Aura Abilities" on p. 179 it says that the character is automatically in range of his ability: "Some units - usually CHARACTERS - have abilities that affect certain models within a given range. Unless the ability in question says otherwise, a model with a rule like this is always within range of the effect."

Oh, and I don't think <FORGE WORLD> refers to the company that makes 40k stuff - I think it's used here like it is in the Eldar (Aaldari) rules, who get <CRAFTWORLD> as a keyword and you're supposed to fill it in with Biel-Tan, Iyanden, Lugganth, etc.
    Last edited by Captain Bubonicus; 06-13-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks for your responses - it made things much clearer. I havn't got my hands on the rulebook as of yet... on pre-order though. and yes i did mean in the sense of <CRAFTWORLD> / <CHAPTER> etc.