BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Does anyone know how allies work?

Previous editions had an allies matrix. I don't see any information relating to allies this edition. Does anyone know how it works? I am guessing you cant just bring a detachment of Space Marines alongside a detachment of Chaos...

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks ^.^

Chaplain

Not having seen an actual copy of the new rules yet, I can only go on the fact that I saw a post which said Allies are out.

Veteran-Sergeant

As I understand it, each detachment can have units from multiple factions, but each one must share at least one key word. However it seems you can run multiple detachments, and they do not have to share any key words. And from the wording of the rulebook all your models count as friendly. So from what I can tell, you can run a detachment of Chaos and another detachment of Necrons and there seems to be no problem, since there's no longer levels of alliance.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    As I understand it, each detachment can have units from multiple factions, but each one must share at least one key word. However it seems you can run multiple detachments, and they do not have to share any key words. And from the wording of the rulebook all your models count as friendly. So from what I can tell, you can run a detachment of Chaos and another detachment of Necrons and there seems to be no problem, since there's no longer levels of alliance.
    That is my understanding as well.
    01101100 01101111 01100111 01101001 01100011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00101110

Veteran-Sergeant

Apparently there's another catch in the Matched play Section. If you're doing Matched play, even your Detachments have to share a keyword as well.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    Apparently there's another catch in the Matched play Section. If you're doing Matched play, even your Detachments have to share a keyword as well.
    Yup:

"ARMY FACTION: All of the units in a matched play army, with the exception of those that are UNALIGNED, must have at least one Faction keyword in common (e.g. IMPERIUM or CHAOS) even though they may be in different Detachments."