BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Airbrushing with GW Paints?

I've got a small airbrush that has been collecting dust for some time. I never really got around to learning how to use it because it seemed too complicated and didn't want to buy new paints.

Is it possible to EFFECTIVELY and EFFICIANTLY airbrush using GW paints? If so, how would I go about doing it? If someone who has some experiance could post a small little guide, that would be great.

Games Workshop paint is far to thick to be used straight from the pot, you'll need to water it down. Buy a pot of Tamiya (designed for airbrushing) and you'll get an idea of the correct consistency needed. In my opinion GW paint is too expensive for airbrushing.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

GW paints are all that I use in my airbrush. I have had no problems with them at all. The key is finding the right consistency for the paint. It varies depending on color.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Games Workshop paint is far to thick to be used straight from the pot, you'll need to water it down. Buy a pot of Tamiya (designed for airbrushing) and you'll get an idea of the correct consistency needed. In my opinion GW paint is too expensive for airbrushing.
    The problem with using tamiya paints is that they suck for hand painting, so once you've done your base coat with the airbrush, you have to match the colour with GW paints ( or whatever paint you use). It's easier to just airbrush Gw paints. GW paints are okay to airbrush just thin them down a lot and practice on some crappy old models you have lying around until you're comfortable.

how do you store them once you mix them? do you use all the paint or keep them in the gw pots or in a new one? what do you thin the paint with? water? thinner or some sort? how fast do you go through pots?
    Last edited by GrandmasterRay; 08-14-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: skeletay answered a question as i was posting. I removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmasterRay View Post
    how do you store them once you mix them? do you use all the paint or keep them in the gw pots or in a new one? what do you thin the paint with? water? thinner or some sort? how fast do you go through pots? is it worth using them to apply bases or no?

I only spray big jobs. So, I usually don't have much paint left over.

I use water to thin them. Milk consistency is a good starting point.

I base coated my entire SW army and used 3 pots. I was spraying Shadow Grey over a white primer
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmasterRay View Post
    how do you store them once you mix them? do you use all the paint or keep them in the gw pots or in a new one? what do you thin the paint with? water? thinner or some sort? how fast do you go through pots? is it worth using them to apply bases or no?
    I've heard of people having good results with tamiya thinner with GW paints, but personally, after having a very bad experience with tamiya thinner with P3 paints, I stick to water. Distilled water is better, but tap water is okay in a pinch.
    Paint goes a long way with an airbrush so just mix a bit at a time and you'll be surprised by how little paint you actually use.
    One other thing, you NEED a strong thinner like lacquer thinner or something like that to clean your airbrush every time you use it. Especially with GW paints. I find the biggest problem with airbrushing GW paints is not how it sprays, but how much it gums up your airbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletay View Post
    The problem with using tamiya paints is that they suck for hand painting, so once you've done your base coat with the airbrush, you have to match the colour with GW paints ( or whatever paint you use). It's easier to just airbrush Gw paints. GW paints are okay to airbrush just thin them down a lot and practice on some crappy old models you have lying around until you're comfortable.
    Wasnt suggesting he used Tamiya, advised him to buy one pot to see the consistancy.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletay View Post
    I've heard of people having good results with tamiya thinner with GW paints, but personally, after having a very bad experience with tamiya thinner with P3 paints, I stick to water. Distilled water is better, but tap water is okay in a pinch.
    Paint goes a long way with an airbrush so just mix a bit at a time and you'll be surprised by how little paint you actually use.
    One other thing, you NEED a strong thinner like lacquer thinner or something like that to clean your airbrush every time you use it. Especially with GW paints. I find the biggest problem with airbrushing GW paints is not how it sprays, but how much it gums up your airbrush.
    Spot on! It cannot be stressed enough, you must clean after every spray.

I find I use more air cleaning then painting lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Wasnt suggesting he used Tamiya, advised him to buy one pot to see the consistancy.
    Fair enough, no offense intended. That's not a bad idea actually, buying a pot of tamiya or model master acrylic( my favorite) to get used to how your airbrush should work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast