BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default What's new & what's not

So the way I select my armies is to create a spread sheet in which I list the units I want and the spread sheet creates the list complete with weapons and special abilities relevant to the units I chose and gives me the points list and totals. A slightly laborious job with each new codex or rules release, but the one advantage I gain is a more intimate knowledge of my army.

Anyway, one of the most interesting things about 8th Ed is the lack of lamentation on how they broke the game and I think a huge component of that was the data and information release leading up to the new launch. But one thing I have noted is there is the same issue in regards to the armies that has occurred in previous releases. That is, while all of the models in the release are there from prior editions, there are some that the GW designers seem to be proactively discouraging the use of.

I get this from my latest spread sheet where the first group I am working on is the HQ options.

I am referring specifically to the Avatar Khaine. Initiative is gone so there is no issue there because that is universal. However, his WS, BS & Ld have been degraded, the only change up is the number of wounds (5 to 8), which is common in the overall development of the game but I think still less than the other units, e.g. the Wraith Lord wounds went from 3 to 10. But the killer in any game where a measure of the unit cost is made are the Power Points 13, exceeded only by the Wraithknight, and the points cost, that went from 195 to 250 almost guaranteeing he wont be used in Match Play. After all, how many times did you see him on the table at 195 points when he had all the benefits of Monstrous Creature?

The other units priced out of existence are the two flyers which have double digit PP and excessive points cost well above 150 and of course the Wraithknight itself which is the only unit more expensive than the Avatar, 27 PP and 402 points base plus 100 to 200 points extra to upgrade his weapons simply makes him unviable in the new universe. And the combination of the vulnerabilities of HQ choices combined with their degraded stat's make the Eldar a trickier force to manage. An example on the HQ choices is the fact that there is now no HQ choice with a leadership value above 9. Prince Yriel has a pistol with a 3" range, D6 shots and S6, -2AP, & D1, ONE USE ONLY Ballistic Weapon. It is the only Ballistic weapon he has and then he is left with a Spear he can't throw but otherwise looks like a Singing Spear and a Curse that reduces a save capability to 25% because you reroll on successful saves. At 106 points it is not worth it.

The one saving grace for the Avatar by the way, is with the vulnerabilities of HQ now, he is a reasonable HQ choice to make by comparison with the other Eldar options.

So the question is, do you think there are specific unit types GW is discouraging us from using? Psykers, Flyers particular HQ types? Or do you think this is just a trend to reduce the power of Eldar? What examples are there in other armies?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    So the question is, do you think there are specific unit types GW is discouraging us from using? Psykers, Flyers particular HQ types? Or do you think this is just a trend to reduce the power of Eldar? What examples are there in other armies?
    Vehicles of all kinds... (and encouraging massed infantry, anything with a blast template in 7th, fully shooty armies (e.g. Tau) - they can often get charged turn 1 etc (GW is definately promoting a balanced army)...
    01101100 01101111 01100111 01101001 01100011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00101110