BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Power Rating vs. Points

Now that everyone has has a few weeks to play some games I was wondering which system people are using more when building armies, Power Ratings or Points?

Power Ratings is the quick and easy way but coming from 30+ years of points based 40K army building feels a little sloppy. It seems odd to me that adding weapons to a squad or vehicle doesn't change the rating even if it increases the firepower considerably. This does seem to be the way GW is leaning though as the PR is right there on the card though.

Points values is the traditional way and feels more balanced. Take a better weapon, increase the point cost. It does take more fiddling around with numbers though and GW hid all the point costs in the backs of the indexes almost like an afterthought.

Power Ratings seem good enough for everyday sort of games while points seem aimed more towards competitive games and tournaments. But what sort of army building has everyone been using in their games?

I have found games with powerlevels have been funner for me. The games have been much closer than using points. Points seem like they need more time to ballance the numbers and fix the MANY typos to be worth using.

So i use powerlevels when i can.

Scout

Our group is almost exclusively playing Power Levels and we love it. It's not for everyone but it works for us.

(Edit) I should throw in the caveat that we also play WYSIWIG.
    Last edited by ctuttle; 07-28-2017 at 01:07 AM.