BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: target priority

Default target priority

Hi all. I have only played a few games of 8th now but really like it. This came up in the last game and not sure about it. The closest 2 targets to a shooting unit were both characters. Does this mean only the closest can be shoot as the second character is not closest or can both be targeted. Thanks

Chaplain

"A CHARACTER can only be chosen as a target in the Shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the model that is shooting." So only the closest of the two could be targeted.

Chaplain

That rule is already subject to special rules. My Rangers can target any character in line of sight and in range. I presume this may be the case for most sniper units so it now depends on what is shooting.

Chapter-Master

How about this.

If a character is the 2nd closest unit to a firing unit, but the 1st closest is engaged in close combat. Can the character then be targeted?
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    How about this.

If a character is the 2nd closest unit to a firing unit, but the 1st closest is engaged in close combat. Can the character then be targeted?
    Nope - from the "Designer's Commentary" FAQ:

Q: If a model cannot shoot at the closest visible enemy unit for some reason (e.g. it is within 1" of one of your units) but the next closest visible enemy unit is a CHARACTER, can that model then target the character?
    A: No.