BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Do Wood Elves Need A New Army Book???

Well? Personally I am not 100% sure. They are obviously able to compete as long as they run spam lists, but for the sake of having a book that has a variety of viable options, are we perhaps due for an update in order to be more relevant?

Thoughts?

DT.

Scout

BIG TIME, im my view the gimmick previously was you had to only fight when it was in your favor and this was generally fueled by the ability to break ranks.

I was a big fan of using cavalry for this purpose, now that you need 3x ranks of 5 period to break ranks that is not really possible due to the high costs or their stuff.

Since the game is no longer about baiting, switching and in general being a sneaky ******* im not sure where the wooded ones fit in, i guess the new game play style will be tons of eternal guard.

In short yeah the wood elves codex is the new beastmen and im sure just they them we will have to wait years before we see a update.

And by that time do i want to pay 50$ or a codex?

First-Captain

I'm not necessarily sure they do--there's lots and lots of sneakiness still viable in the WE book.

I say they definitely do. It's not that they're a bad army in 8th eidtion, but there's no reason that I can see to play them instead of High Elves or Dark Elves. No matter what you're looking for in an army, there isn't anything that the Wood Elves are better at than both the High Elves and Dark Elves are.

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    I'm not necessarily sure they do--there's lots and lots of sneakiness still viable in the WE book.
    Examples...? Please? I'm having a hard time justifying the exorbitant points costs in light of armies such as Skaven or Dark Elves. Compare the hydra at 175 points to the treeman at 285 points and weep.

Chapter-Master

[QUOTE=mynameisgrax;92650there isn't anything that the Wood Elves are better at than both the High Elves and Dark Elves are.[/QUOTE]

Not at all, Wood Elf shooting is far superior to both High Elves and Dark Elves. Ten man units of glade guard in two ranks of five are highly maneuverable, and put out plenty of shots. Combine that with glade riders and waywatchers and you can guarantee putting shots wherever you need them, with plenty of hits. Glade riders and warhawk riders make short work of warmachines, and wardancers are now awesome with their high initiative. The option of taking lore of life or beasts is awesome too, throw the wardancers into combat, boost their strength and toughness, and watch the enemies drop like flies. No, they do not especially need a new book. Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms next please, then we shall see.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar333 View Post
    Examples...? Please? I'm having a hard time justifying the exorbitant points costs in light of armies such as Skaven or Dark Elves. Compare the hydra at 175 points to the treeman at 285 points and weep.
    What Kirsten said.

Not to mention, you can get all kinds of evil out of a WE Alter-Kindred Noble w/the Bow of Loren and magical arrows. (Arcane Bodkin to remove high armor targets, or Starfire arrows to force ld panic checks on low ld blocks of infantry) And yes, you only get one type of magic arrow, I know.

You have Spites that muck up a lot of things,

The Dawnspear that makes your opponents suffer a -1 to hit if you cause even one casualty with it.

There are still narsty combos out there, particularly with tree singing and the ability to close off charge lanes, open them, or even rip apart units with the Evil Dead animated evil tree aspect of the spell.

You just need to think a little less linearly with them in the new edition.

I guess I'm just pretty depressed because I have a fully painted and custom modeled tree army, complete with 60 dryads, 10 treekin, and 3 treemen. Melee skirmishers are crappy now, especially since enemies don't auto-break from fear now, and treemen are way too expensive when things like super accurate war machines are to be found everywhere. Treekin got a big buff, sure, but it's a bit depressing that my hordes of dryads are pretty terrible now.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar333 View Post
    I guess I'm just pretty depressed because I have a fully painted and custom modeled tree army, complete with 60 dryads, 10 treekin, and 3 treemen. Melee skirmishers are crappy now, especially since enemies don't auto-break from fear now, and treemen are way too expensive when things like super accurate war machines are to be found everywhere. Treekin got a big buff, sure, but it's a bit depressing that my hordes of dryads are pretty terrible now.
    But don't forget they're all forest spirits, so get the ward save.

It's not much against war machines, but it's better than nothing.

Veteran-Sergeant

a friend of mine fields wood elves, and he's a very good player, but he still has a hard time keeping up with my counts. (though he's getting wise to my tricks... sometimes i think that all wood elves are immune to psychology.) i try not to overpower my list, but he still has to tailor his list to kill me if he want's to stand a chance.

i think that wood elves aren't accessible enough. (ie:you need to be a highly skilled player to make them competitive.)

So yes, i'm all for a new wood elf book.
    Last edited by Fueldrop; 11-09-2010 at 03:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast