BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

I think that WEs are definitely in need of a new book. The two things that they did well both got nerfed. Skirmishers are obviously one of them, but the other thing that really hurt them is the change in VPs. The fact that you don't get any points unless you completely destroy a unit, or flee them off the table, makes an army dependent on shooting a lot weaker.
    Against some armies they still have a viable build of Treekin and Treemen supported by archer units (for the banners if nothing else) and Life Magic. Against a heavily armored foe (such as my WoC) they really have no chance at all. I used to dread playing them, they just made for an excruciatingly horrible game for me. Chasing them around and rarely catching them, they literally drove me nuts. Now I see an auto-win when I play them.

Wood Elves Definately need a new army book. It is possible to win with them but it's really hard. This is not because they are a hard army to play the units are just overpriced in 8th edition. Other armies are now pretty much as manuverable as the wood elves. Other armies CAN and frequently DO out-shoot them as very little terrain blocks line of sight (do the calculations for equal points glade guard against empire hand-gunners or dark elf crossbowmen at both long and short range). Skirmishers and fast cavalry are much less powerful than they were before. And of course breaking units is nigh impossible.

Things arn't actualy as bad for you as you may think Whitestar. Dryads are good for their points and very good if you can be fighting in a wood.

Scout

They need something. Every time I go up against WE's I consider it an auto win.

Harry over at Warseer indicates Wood Elves are being worked on.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I guess I'm just pretty depressed because I have a fully painted and custom modeled tree army, complete with 60 dryads, 10 treekin, and 3 treemen. Melee skirmishers are crappy now, especially since enemies don't auto-break from fear now, and treemen are way too expensive when things like super accurate war machines are to be found everywhere. Treekin got a big buff, sure, but it's a bit depressing that my hordes of dryads are pretty terrible now.
    Before you give up on the dryads, A friend of mine (also a massive dryad fan) worked out an extremely sneaky tactic combining woods, dryads and something else.

I shall be seeing him in 2 days, i'll get an exact tactic and unit plan off him and post it here. It might not be amazing, but it sounded interesting.

Scout

I look at WE's as an auto win. They are terrible in 8th. Even in 7th I never lost to them, though I did tie once. One of the best games ever, but that will never happen in 8th. Until GW puts out a new book and fixes them they will continue to be lame.

Ok so i promised a dryad tactic so here it is:

My friend who has a dryad army suggested that you take dryads and just keep them in woods. They become steadfast or something for being in a wood and being a skirmisher, you take unit champions etc etc max out basiclaly.

you move them by moving the wood.

take lore of life and beef the units up.

Now your opponent will have to charge the wood to come to you.

You then take a treeman and treekin, to act as counter forces to any big units, or as flanking units. So basiclaly you deploy your free wood (and hope there is some other woods on the table) deploy your dryads in these units with characters an unit upgrades and just sit there and wait for the enemy to come to you.

Im not explaining the tactic very well, but hopefully someone can see the potential in the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    Ok so i promised a dryad tactic so here it is:

My friend who has a dryad army suggested that you take dryads and just keep them in woods. They become steadfast or something for being in a wood and being a skirmisher, you take unit champions etc etc max out basiclaly.

you move them by moving the wood.

take lore of life and beef the units up.

Now your opponent will have to charge the wood to come to you.

You then take a treeman and treekin, to act as counter forces to any big units, or as flanking units. So basiclaly you deploy your free wood (and hope there is some other woods on the table) deploy your dryads in these units with characters an unit upgrades and just sit there and wait for the enemy to come to you.

Im not explaining the tactic very well, but hopefully someone can see the potential in the idea.
    There is only one character other than orion that can join a dryad unit. that is the branchwraith.

The biggest issue with WE these days is that they are still a 40k army in a fantasy setting. Skimishers aren't very good anymore. Yes Dryads were great last edition. But this addition being skirmishers means you arent going to be easily able to win combats let alone break units.

The current lists that are performing well are talking the best units in the codex (GG and TK) and running them in spam. I have heard of people running units of 25 GG with a BSB (Razorbanner) and the banner that allows them to always stand and shoot. This unit is usually supported by a level 4, 2 other units of 10+ GG and a couple units of 6-9 treekin.

Most WE units are rather expensive for what they do. Some of the coolest units are completely useless. Unless you go out and buy a completely new army you no longer have a viable WE list, If you don,t want to spam the same units then don't bother playing.

Oh and lastly... Y can the Hero level caster only use the WE Lore (which is garbage btw)

Chaplain

I'd love to see a new wood elf codex and models in the next year or so as I started playing fantasy last year with Lizardmen and always starting Wood Elves as a secondary army. New rules and models would be a great way to get the army started.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast