BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Drop Pods nerfed?

Has the venerable Drop Pod been nerfed?

It is way more expensive than a Rhino and is less survivable and it just sits there once in the game.

Do you think the 8th nerfed the pod? Why or why not?

Chapter-Master

The points cost clearly reflects that the designers must feel the ability to place troops anywhere on the battlefield, without scattering, and possibly get a first turn charge in, is worth a premium.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Clearly.

Chaplain

Not having to roll for reserves to bring 'em in sure is nice. They got a lot more dependable, but at a real points premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    The points cost clearly reflects that the designers must feel the ability to place troops anywhere on the battlefield, without scattering, and possibly get a first turn charge in, is worth a premium.
    This.

I only wish they could still transport dreads.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    This.

This is the big nerf. But I've been told the Dread carrying Pod is in the new Imperial Armour book so that stat could be used.

Chaplain

What sort of stat's do they carry, like wounds and BS. Do they also have a WS characteristic?

Banned

What sort of stat's do they carry, like wounds and BS. Do they also have a WS characteristic?
    They have standard marine BS 3+, wounds and toughness like a dreadnought and an A characteristic of 0.

I played a two drop pod list in a friendly tourney this weekend with my Space Wolves, and honestly they feel very expensive. It was a 1,500 point tourney, and 210 of those points were taken up by pods. I think the cost more accurately reflects what they're capable of, and if you can get something like Wulfen up close to give your guys a re-roll for charges, then the first turn charge becomes a viable tactic. As has been said many times, movement and positioning is very important this edition, maybe not more or less so than last, but more obviously so this time.

However, the old tactic of dropping them in and shoving meltas down peoples' throats may be dead and buried, as the minimum 9" distance between you and your opponent means you need to wait a turn to get into melta range to really make the most of that weapon. You'd almost be better off with a super charged plasma gun. Unfortunately the cost of the pods means you can't really get enough marines to overwhelm your opponent with rapid-firing bolters.

Yup. Also, they can't transport terminators either