BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default 8th Edition Morale Phase typo?

In the Core Rules on page 183, last paragraph, the rules says "To take a morale check, roll a dice..." "A dice?" What does that mean 1 die, two dice, three dice? Also which one D3, D6? Now I'm assuming they meant one D6 but one can't be sure. It seems it wasn't caught for the recent FAQ. Was there anything else put out on this. Anyone know what it is supposed to be?

Chaplain

The answer is here: [url]https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/new-warhammer-40000-morale/[/url]

"The mechanics are simple – any units that suffered casualties in a turn must take a Morale test at the end of it. You just roll a D6, add the number of models from the unit that have been slain, and if the number is bigger than the unit’s Leadership, the unit loses the difference in additional models."

Chaplain

Ooh! that is brutal. Especially on small units, like the elite units that normally start with 5 man squads. Although, reading the link it would seem that if you lose wounds but not models there is no moral/leadership test. But if your squad is small and Ld low you could lose the squad in one turn.

All the Eldar troops from top to bottom have been reduced to max 9 leadership, with quite a few units being down graded to 7. I imagined it is to make the new moral test have an impact. Did space marines lose points on their leadership? It seems to be the reverse with Necrons where Ld 10 is the norm for almost everything.

I think my HQ will be an Avatar, my heavies 3 x Wraithlords and as many transports as I can squeeze in. Eldar have copped it in a number of subtle ways in the new rules and this seems to be another with no unit retaining Ld 10 and troops dropping to Ld 7.

Chaplain

Actually, it's apparently better to have small 5 man squads, because it makes it much harder to lose men from morale (4 casualties max for a hard cap of +4 to the roll) and if you DO roll badly, there's only one or two men potentially affected.

Librarian

The issue here is more of a grammar one. Most of the English language considers Dice to be both singular and plural. Geek games invented the singular usage "die" but Games Workshop doesn't follow the geek usage rules.

It is the same as with the plural "Dwarfs." Most geek games follow the Tolkien plural "dwarves" but GW sticks with the pre-Tolkien usage rules (even though they use Tolkien's "elven."

www.GardenNinja.com