BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Squat Codex 5th Edition

*Link update. Special Character Yurgret Onceminer cost changed to 124 - don't have the current pdf file onhand.

[url]http://www.multiupload.com/MDNJV6OXQ7[/url]

Link is to a new, complete Squat Codex compatible with 5th Edition.

Codex is in pdf file format. Name is some long garble assigned by the hosting site - haven't used it before. Sorry about that.

Features 15 regular unit types, 2 special characters, 4 vehicles. Rule set is not restricted to OOP models, but follows an, "If I could do anything I wanted with the Squats" approach to help bring them current. Codex explains in more detail.

37 pages overall with Table of Contents, Introduction, Original Back Story (much has happened to the Squats since the Inquisitorial Order removing them from records), Special Rules, complete Army List, Unit Introductions, Special Character pages, a Weapon Overview sheet (wargear options are currently limited, as units are designed around specialized roles), and Summary.

Rule set has been tested, but not vetted as thoroughly as I'd like. Have run a number of games with them against Blood Angels, Orks, Space Wolves, Tyranids, and Tau in order of most common opponents. Hope to run them against Necrons this week. More thorough vetting by anyone interested in the community would be helpful to iron out kinks.

It's been a little hard getting consistent performance results down the way 5th edition codices are shaping up - each seems more powerful than the last, which isn't helping with some of the finer details, and armies still using 3rd edition codices (Dark Eldar especially, I'd expect) might be especially troubled by a few Squat special rules and artillery weapons. I don't regularly game with Dark Eldar players, so any vetting on that front would be particularly helpful. Any questions about rule clarity would be helpful, too - I know what I meant to write, but did it come out the right way? Don't know yet.

I apologize to anyone who didn't want to hear anymore about the Squats. It's not my intention to force them on anyone - just offering some rules that people who still like them can use, or people who like new codices can read if they get bored. General consensus is that they were a little goofy in their 40k incarnation. The models look a little dated, but by 1st edition standards they still seem pretty nice. As I've been working on this rule set and codex, I've grown to like them more, and if I were to do it all over again (we're talking a lot of hours invested) it could probably come out first rate.

Anyway, thanks!
    Last edited by SquatCodex5thEd; 03-18-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Brother-Captain

I am interested in reading this, but where is the link to the PDF?

Chapter-Master

You can also post this in the correct forum for non official stuff.

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/forumdisplay.php?f=46[/url]

Go Squats!

Adeptus Custodes

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    I am interested in reading this, but where is the link to the PDF?

click the little X symbol that ususally means something has gone wrong.

Great JOB! one thing is Terranim canon or homebrew? I'm a little hazy when it comes to fluff on squats/zoats/jokaro etc
    More Necromunda please.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    click the little X symbol that ususally means something has gone wrong.
    Sorry, not seeing an "X" either.

EDIT: I use Firefox for Mac and so it removes any bad links. I put it into Safari and the bad link is there, so I have pulled it up, but remember not all browsers deal with errors the same way.

Adeptus Custodes

Quote Originally Posted by SquatCodex5thEd View Post
    [URL=http://www.youshare.com/Guest/2ee8c1c98132b52b.pdf.html][/URL]
    Its at he very top of the post

[url]http://www.youshare.com[/url]

/Guest/2ee8c1c98132b52b.pdf.html

I broke the link in half there so it should deffo come up
    More Necromunda please.

Abbess Sanctorum

Instead of posting a link through a hotlinked image ([url=http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/01/Guest/2ee8c1c98132b52b-T.jpg]This is the url of the picture you posted[/url], which gives me "403 forbidden"), try posting the link itself instead... not all sites allow you to hotlink.

For everyone else:

[url]http://www.youshare.com/Guest/2ee8c1c98132b52b.pdf.html[/url]
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Thanks folks!

I changed the link in the main post like you suggested.

Sorry about being in the wrong forum - looked, but didn't see the homebrew forum.

Can I kill this thread by deleting the main post in order to move it, or should I wait for a moderator to kick it over?

Librarian

I had a quick look at it. Nice. I like the story line with the Technomancers saving the squat race, from destruction from the Tyranids and the Traitorous Imperial Inquisition Crusaders including Adeptus Astares, and Adeptus Mechanicus looking to exploit the weaker PDF forces left on the squat home world, and steal their STC and other lost technology.

I like that they are stubborn and relentless, however I think Squats should be toughness 4, or strength 4 to represent their squat strong bodies.

But I like the parts I read.

I have to read more about what their equipment and units are, but I th ink I will enjoy it.

Brother-Sergeant

I agree with the toughness of 4 fits in with fluff
    I think they need more tanks and artillery especially artillery
    Not real keen on the skimmer technology aspect to my mind doesnt really fit
    Also not a fan of sappers self destructing sappers being more combat engineers than sucide bombers
    No squad leaders ?
    Some of the squad options need a bit of clearing up thunderers for one do they all have the neo plasma cannon the picture shows 1 leader 2 support personel and 2 with cannons

Also I would have had Thunderers heavy support and Hearth guard as elite

Overall I like it especially since I can resurrect an extensive squat collection with a decent codex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast