BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just wanted to throw some feedback your way.

Had a blast! War Games Con is now on my perma-schedule with Adepticon. I'll be back next year.

Overall, for the second year, I'd say you guys did an excellent job running everything. Sure there were hiccups...but no game-breakers.

Some slight negative feedback, I know a lot of folks didn't appreciate the missions that penalized people for not having specific force orgs. If you're going to do stuff like that to promote balance, maybe put out some primer missions so we have a heads up on what's headed our way.

On the website, before the con, I could not find the guidelines for anything. Finding out we needed to have a story when the judge asked for it caught us by surprise. Not a huge big deal. But just feedback.

1 more thing, you might want to include a small map with the con package of the local restaurants / stores within walking distance for us non-locals. We found stuff eventually anyway, but it would have helped.

Overall though, I'd say the con was full of win. The other stuff, vendors, etc.... will come as you grow.

See you next year!

Default Danke

Hey guys,

a- I finally was able to kinda find things on the forum and I'm not used to these things so I am sorry if this winds up in totally the wrong area.

b- Thank you. This is my first tournament. I held of on them for so long because from most tournaments all I hear about is the negative attitude of players. You guys all did a fantastic job of making people feel welcome and providing a great atmosphere for people coming to enjoy their hobby.

Dave's one seminar was really productive. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with all of us.

I know there were hiccups and whatnot. We all learn as we go and some things are unavoidable. Oh well.

2 things that would be nice for next year: I think having the missions ahead of time would be rather helpful, or some semblance of knowing that hey, you'll want core troops with standards in them, or have a BSB (as a brief example) because there's quite a few people who got giged hard for not having those things in their list at all and couldn't meet the criteria.

All in all the missions were FUN (Mind you I only got to play in the wfb singles, but ours I found fun and challenging).

So thank you for hosting a fun event, and thanks to all the other folks out there whom I got to meet and learn from, and have a good time with. Thank you all for changing my negative outlook on tournaments.

- Arica
    The other, other, OTHER girl

We'll do a couple of primer missions for next time, 40K and Fantasy. I think Standards in missions will be less of an issue for 8th, as you auto-lose some scenarios if your standard count is too low.

I'll also probably do a core philosophy statement at some point, which may understand the hows and whys of things. Basically we don't mind you taking really slanted lists, but lists that are more balanced will generally have an easier time with mission objectives.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Yeah, JWolf. That sounds totally fair and reasonable I look forward to it already!

- Arica
    The other, other, OTHER girl

Well the feed back from myself and 3 others was the following. Good/Bad/Good/ Suggestions for improvement.

Good.
    We all had a great time. Excellent opponents and everyone was very much there to have fun.

Some amazingly painted and converted armies. Personal favorite was the Avatar Wood Elf army excellent by all means.

Terrain was great for 40k different tables had different themes.

BAD.
    Lack of sticking to the times on schedule but understand with 200 people it becomes a little harder.

Failure to check who paid for what. I know of at least 3 people that got away with not just not paying for a badge but for the entire tournament. So while some paid $80 others got away playing for free.

failure to maintain WYSIWYG. Apparently there were people using fantasy models with the square bases in the 40k tournament as well as some using completely different armies saying they were something else. example one player was using a chaos space marine army saying they were Blood Angels.

Painting score. Apparently it was told to a few people that you only needed half of your models painted to get the painting score.

NO STINKING BADGES!

Allowance of Sleeve-less Shirts

Question 16 on the test. I dont think even an ork player could answer that one.

Finally as many have already said " The Swag Bags". We all felt the swag bags we sub par to say the least. They really didnt live up to the hype they were given.

GOOD

The Hotel was good and the room that the convention was held in was more than enough room.

I felt all the main judges were great and were more than helpful and had fun personalities.

"YOU'RE GONNA DIE HONKY!!!"

Painting competition was great. there were so many talented painters that entered.

Suggestions.

Addition of Vendors. I know myself and a few others would have loved to buy things either be it a BattleFoam Bag or even a T shirt.

Theme army competition either be it in painting or a separate tournament or an internal competition.

Do Not Allow Sleeve-less Shirts

Drinking / Most hungover Competition

Rankings for sportsmanship so that at the end people aren't just like why did that person win sportsmanship award.

Different types of mission instead of a majority being objective based.

Possibly a projector to show the amount of time left in a round or when the next round begins.

More Females. They make the room smell so much better.

All in All i felt the tournament was great and the people were laid back enough to roll with the speed bumps. I plan to go next year and bring more people with me. Just remember nothing is perfect and everything can be improved on. With the limited resource you did an amazing job and i want to see this convention become on par if not bigger than Gencon or Gamesday.
    Last edited by blaze7386; 08-03-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Scout

Overall I had a great time and had a lot of fun in all of my games. I liked all the missions and I actually liked the spread on the points however I would say that I dislike giving the massacre the full points, I think you still have to be able to accomoplish the objectives to get the points for them. I also think that it was a mistake to not have kill points as a primary at all in the entire tournament.

1. As already has been discussed some primer missions would have been nice.

2. In my 2nd round my opponent was 15-20 minutes late. I never heard a start round called out for that round (I went up afterwards and talked to goatboy about it afterwards). But my comment is to just put something in the rules packet about what to do if they don't show. I didn't want to leave the table because they might show up. But since it was start of round there weren't any judges out walking yet. I finally had started to head to the judges table when I saw the guy walking up and promptly just turned around and went back to the table to try and get started as soon as possible.

3. What happened to cause the delays on Sunday? I had a 7:00 flight that I had to make and missed the awards and everything so I wasn't able to see my final score or to see who won what, after 7 games you are kind of vested in seeing the fall out from everything.

4. On the sportsmanship scores I would like a description. I marked an opponent as good and he got frustrated with me, telling me that he marks everyone as great unless it's a bad game. I told him that where I play great means that you want to go up and give the guy a hug after the game. I felt a little pressured to change the score because the guy was nice and it was a good game without any issues.

5. I had a lot of average scores in my rounds 2-4 which put me on tables 14, 15, 16 respectively. I basically played on the same table type of terrain for over half of the tournament. I've been in several tournaments where they flop the table placements which helps to give people varied terrain. For example round 1 everyone goes random. Round 2 you do table 1 = first place and so on, but then for round two, start on table 199 and put first place there and work your way backwards. This will help to give people a little more variety in the boards.

Who do I contact to find out what my scores were?

Occuli Imperator

Thought I might add some notes.

All in all a great tournament, thank you for all the hard work!

1. Painting scores and wysiwyg.
    - I had an opponent who had naked plastic models and said he got a "20" on his score. A friend I came with had an average level space wolves army that was 100% painted with some spray-freehand and he got a "20" as well. Even with freehand on 100% of my vehicles and scroll work on every model with custom bases and dynamic odes with conversions I only got a 23. The scores didn't resemble the effort (not that painting should make the difference in overall score... Just more of a discrepancy)

2. Avaliablity of info.
    - when I'm at a large tournament I know that the judges and especially guys like you, John, are very busy. I don't want to bother you or Thomas just to ask when we should be back from lunch, etc. I believe someone suggested a projector that could be used to broadcast general information like this.

3. Checking in
    - when we arrived Friday afternoon it was very unclear where we checked in, we eventually found it in the main room.

4. Misc.
    - I agree with the vendor thing, I didn't buy things I needed because I was told it would be there.
    - agreed on being able to play in tournament and somehow be able to attend. Some classes
    - where was Romeos bagman? (
    - how can we find out final standings/ points?

As I said, thank you and I
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

oh yeah, just remembered a couple of more suggestions...

Project-o-clock like at Adepticon so we can see how much time is left in the round. Sure I had a watch and you guys made regular announcements, but the clock is sooooo nice.

Also, in regards to sportsmanship. Why not have people rank their opponents, from 1 - 7. It ensures that people need to learn the names of the folks they are playing and it adds for more separation than everyone just getting "Great".

Something to think about.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by silashand
    I think his suggestion might help to eliminate the problem where some people show up with their girlfriend/wife/whoever as their "teammate", but the only thing they do is roll an occasional die and the one person basically plays both armies as one. If it's supposed to be a "team" tournament, then it needs to be a "team" and not one guy abusing the system so he can play more solo games.
    You mean the guy who won the team tournament?

I drove down with a few other guys from Colorado.

Pros:

Hotel was awesome! The frozen Tundra level AC was really nice. I'm not a guy who can tolerate heat well. It was HOT in Austin, and from a few friends who are locals I was led to believe that it was in fact quite cool over the weekend.

The emergency support. I discovered that I had left a tray with my Razorbacks and all the Magnetized weapons options for my Typhoons and Predators at home. Luckily I was able to talk to a friend who was part of the crew running the narrative campaign and he was able to hook me up with some of Goatboy's Razorbacks for the weekend. Without them I would have traveled all that way and not been able to play!

Missions! I loved all the GT missions except 3 and 7. I thought 3 was way too easy for many armies to win (my own included). and Mission 7 seemed like it was nearly impossible to really get a good solid win on. The only change I would have liked to see was the addition of Kill-points as a Primary objective. Every single mission had Objectives as Primary.

Cons:

Timing: 7 rounds in 2 days was really tough to do. Both days were running behind, forcing almost the entire Colorado crew to leave before the awards ceremony to make sure they made their flights back. Saturday ran over by nearly an hour if I recall correctly.

Grab Bags: Going into the event I was under the impression that the Grab Bags were going to be full of cool goodies. Mine had almost nothing worth looking at. A copy of a book I already owned, a couple of adds. and a set of sprues for a game I will never play. Not to mention that when I compared mine with about 5-6 other guys it seemed that they varied wildly in content. Some of us got multiple books, others got a few discount cards to online retailers like Chapter house and Battle foam. Others got literally nothing but Warmachine Quick-start rules and ads. A few of us got some bits from Chapter house and about half of us got some of the aforementioned sprues.

Paint Judging: I went down with my good Buddy Duke, he and I put a ton of effort into our armies and he especially was expecting to get a really great score for his freehand work.

I was told I got a 21 or 22 of 25, Duke also got a 22. we initially thought this was just fine, neither of us had any super awesome conversions and I was missing some stuff. on Day 2 Duke was speaking with one of his opponents and found out that armies with models that were not finished, were unprimed even, were getting scores equal to mine or just a point or two south. While I realize that paint Judging is a really subjective idea, I think that was a pretty silly spread of painting scores. I really doubt anyone at the event got less than a 20/25. And like any event, there were a few armies that deserved to get low scores, not many mind you, but a few.
    Nothing stands between us and victory... but defeat!
    No plan can survive execution by witless incompetents!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast