BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Your Favorite GW Fluff

The 40th Millenium is a fascinating place. What is your favorite part of it? Do you like Inquisitors, Soulstones, Orks, the Warp, or the Technocrats of Mars? This is the place to cheer for to your favorite GW stoylines and ideas.

Chaplain

Personally, I'm a big fan of the entirety of 40K, but I really like the idea of an AdMec Expidition to recover lost technologies/STCs. The whole concept that human kind no longer creates new technology, but rediscovers old stuff instead and often has to send major military expiditions to do this is really cool in my eyes, and I'm only sad that there aren't better in-game rules to support this.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ThePov View Post
    Personally, I'm a big fan of the entirety of 40K...
    Yes.

Lore tiers:

top tier:
    horus heresy
    the creation of the primarchs
    orks
    armageddon

mid tier:
    ryu
    eldar
    nids

bottom tier:
    necrons
    tau
    ryan seacrest

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post

bottom tier:
    ryan seacrest
    AMEN BROTHER!

Actually, though, one of my favorite bits of 40K lore is the simple fact that its so open to creating your own lore. There are inumerable wars on inumerable planets, so the player can create their own little corner that's fully within the framework of the universe at large, and the player can go wild with that corner. The mere fact that epic crusades, sieges, and deaths of whole planets are commonplace gives the player such an ability to create, and thats my favorite bit, really.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Librarian

I love both well-thought and developed the fluff is in general. And I agree with the poster that said how open it is to creating your own fluff as well. To me that is brilliant.

That said, one gripe I have is the inconsistency in how some of the weapons work. Meltas, for example, are described differently in the novels, as well as plasma to some degree.

I can't get over how awesome the fluff is for the Grey Knights. Anyone who has read The Grey Knights omi-bus, particularly "Hammer of Daemons" will know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

As much as I hate the annoying myths of the Eldar, I love their Wraith technology. Similarly, I love the Thousand Sons rubric marines.

Additionally, anything involving the Illuminati, the Black Library, and the Harlequins is rather interesting to me.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    Additionally, anything involving the Illuminati....
    illuminati... really? oh GW, youve let yourself slip

my favourite things about the 40k universe are as has been said before, the expansiveness of the universe (its the starting point of any good immersive fiction storyline, you need to have a neverending universe or world - such as star wars, star trek, WoW, Lotr etc etc to name but a few.)

Armageddon was a fantastic piece of storyline, it managed to cram in tons of space marine chapters, billlions and billions of IG, all sorts of xenos nasties, apocalypse style battles, and sneaky side missions, special characters, it even made the orks look smart

i think my number 1 favourite part of 40k, is the endless sprawling cities, with WWII esque guardsmen running from building to building, snipers in clocktowers, eldar patrols, ork booby traps, chaos flying beasts, tyranid spore showers all in a ruined spaghetti imperial city. its just the perfect depiction of hell
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

My favorite stuff has to be the Black Library/Harlequins/Ahriman stuff. Plus the Starchild/Illuminati stories. What I find sad though, is that so much has been "lost" in the fluff, that I think people new to the hobby are really missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_papi76 View Post
    My favorite stuff has to be the Black Library/Harlequins/Ahriman stuff. Plus the Starchild/Illuminati stories. What I find sad though, is that so much has been "lost" in the fluff, that I think people new to the hobby are really missing out.

Oh we're not missing out. Its actually pretty cool only catching bits and peices of this fluff... gotta go and dig it up on the net ourselves. Its kinda like we're scouring the vaults of Terra itself... Haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast