BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

I think what I think has already been said by most of the people.

Squats

I just hate people who just bring them up all the time. They gone.
    Good Riddence

Chaplain

I don't understand why Ogryns have to be stupid. What, big people are dumb? Nonstandard gravity makes you retarded?

I think the idea of abhumans is cool and interesting in itself (not to mention realistic), but for some reason GW decided to use it solely as an excuse to import some goofy fantasy races into 40k.

One think that kind of irks me but I don't really hate is the advance of technology in the imperium. The new things like Land Speeder Storms and Land Raiders.

It seems like they are sliping away from the concept that the tech in the Imperium degrades rather than progresses. And I always like the highly mystic advanced tech concepts.

But in general I don't have any serious complaints... Maybe Dark Eldar? Why don't they just worship Slannesh and get it over with? How are they even still around? I mean if the eldar are a dwindling race down to a few million surely the Dark Eldar are even smaller? And should all be gone by now? But then I havent actualy read their codex so...

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by ZenPaladin View Post
    But in general I don't have any serious complaints... Maybe Dark Eldar? Why don't they just worship Slannesh and get it over with? How are they even still around? I mean if the eldar are a dwindling race down to a few million surely the Dark Eldar are even smaller? And should all be gone by now? But then I havent actualy read their codex so...
    I thought they did already? meh oh well.
    Least fav fluff? hmm...
    Probably the fact that GW over-elaborate everything. For once can they not just give us a straight answer and stop being dark angels?

Chaplain

Very cool race, but I feel like they have little place in 40k as a military threat.

In the books, they are often depicted as a planetary raiding force and are often cut down by the thousands. The Space Wolf fleet in Tales of Heresy destroys enough of them that they were raiding an entire planet; in Brotherhood of the Snake Damocles Squad eradicates "a thousand upon a thousand" I think, in a very poorly-written and vaguely described battle. In another short story in Let the Galaxy Burn, a captured Imperial man helps cause two Dark Eldar sects to go to war with each other.

I guess there would be a good amount of them since they came about long before the whole Eye of Terror thing that made the Eldar homeworlds crap out (at least I think that's the tale...correct me if I'm wrong, imperial record is fuzzy on Eldar backstories, hehe).

Still, the idea that sadistic raiders even bother to engage superior military fighting forces seems wrong to me. All the other races in 40k are armies; the Dark Eldar are just a roving band of lunatics who raid planets for slaves. I don't realistically believe that they could stand up to, say, a guard regiment or a company of space marines (especially when the books show them getting slaughtered by the thousands by handfuls of men!)

One think that kind of irks me but I don't really hate is the advance of technology in the imperium. The new things like Land Speeder Storms and Land Raiders.

It seems like they are sliping away from the concept that the tech in the Imperium degrades rather than progresses. And I always like the highly mystic advanced tech concepts.
    I like this stuff too, but they don't really build more. I think of it more like they have discovered archaeotech on different planets as the battles have raged on. The 40k story's timeline doesn't advance, but they advance the worsening events by making our codex entries change. I actually kind of dig that the tech-adepts on Mars dug deep into the vaults to put out new bolter ammo and new land raider variants, etc. to help the war effort. It adds to the concept of the Time of Ending -- that humanity is losing the war, and is in a desperate defensive setup.
    Last edited by EmperorEternalXIX; 08-22-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ZenPaladin View Post
    Dark Eldar are to Slaanesh as daemonhost using Inquisitors are to the Chaos Gods.

They don't worship chaos, but they're willing to use some methods associated with them. And know better than most exactly how dangerous they are.

I think any fluff that was several thousand dark eldar attacking one location has been badly botched. They are known for rapid in and out strikes, not for sticking around with heavy resistance. If there are large amounts of space marines cutting them down, any smart DE is going to be diving straight back into the webway.

Leave the battles of attrition to the Guard.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chaplain

Missiles that can crack a planets crust and effectively break the planet. How silly a concept is that when the game itself is (mostly) based around ground combat?

"Oh look, there's a hundred million orks down there! Well, lets send the guardsmen in to get slaughtered wholesale!"
    "Sir, we could just use the planet-cracking miss-"
    "No! Send in the clow-er.. guardsmen!"

The fact that Ultramarines are the best SM ever for a start, because there not! And the Dragon on mars aswell , mainly because I don't think the Dragon will ever be awakened so to me, it seems kind of pointless.
    Last edited by Bloodthirster; 08-25-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Librarian

Default Say Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirster View Post
    Ultramarines are the SM ever, because there not! And the Dragon on mars to
    Not to be a grammar ****...but what in the Maelstorm does any of that mean?

Brother-Sergeant

Personally I don't like the whole cult of the machine god thing and how the adeptus mechanicus has to go and perform special rituals and rub sacred oils on the vehicles. They're just vehicles why do the space marines have to think of them as relics and how some vehicles are rare because of lost knowledge..... its a little thing called reverse engineering if you forget how to build it slowly disassemble it and remake the parts and there you go you have more uber death machine rolling across the battlefield. The imperial guard can have virtually an endless supply of tanks and weapons but not the mightiest warriors mankind has produced because of slow rituals.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast